1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing sound driver files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by toothbrush68, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toothbrush68

toothbrush68 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.70GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 991 Mb
    Graphics Card: SiS 650, 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38154 MB, Free - 26671 MB;
    Motherboard: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL, GA-8SIMLNF
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi Rodney, welcome to the TSG Forums....:D

What is your question ? You have only provided your technical spec but have not asked a question.

T.

3. toothbrush68

Hi Tabvia and thank you....i upgraded from windows xp home to windows xp pro and in doing so i lost the sound through the speakers thou i must say it works through a headset when plugged in.so i ran a scan.. to update any out of date or missing drivers...and the only driver that it didnt install fully was the the multimedia audio controller..driver version is 5.10.0.6300...its a realtek driver...and apparantly the ALCXWDM.SYS FILE is missing......any information on this would be very welcome...thanks.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi Rodney, try the following :-

1. Login as Administrator
    2. Click Start > Control Panel
    3. Click on Sounds and Audio Devices
    4. Click on Audio

See if you can detect anything wrong with the settings.

If not..... try the following :-

1. Login as Administrator
    2. Click Start > Run
    3. Type dxdiag.exe
    4. Click OK

If dxdiag.exe does not want to run from the Run box then go directly to the file and run it from there.

dxdiag.exe will be found in the Windows folder under System32

T.

5. toothbrush68

thank you so much for you info...however im not sure what i should be looking for and doing what in this dxdiag box....

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Rodney

dxdiag.exe is a program supplied by Microsoft and is bundled with the Windows OS.

It is a diagnostic tool that is used to troubleshoot Audio and Video problems. From the dxdiag window you run each of the tests. At the end of running all the tests you can save a standard text file (which opens with Notepad) with the results of the tests.

If you are uncertain what the results of the test actually mean or what action to take then simply attach the test results text file to your next post and I will go through the results and (hopefully) be able to diagnose what the problem is and what action you should take.

IMPORTANT - Login as the Administrator before running dxdiag.

T.

7. toothbrush68

hope this helps in someway...

Attached Files:

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

The dxdiag Report shows that the default playback device are your USB Headset.

Are you trying to listen to audio through the Headset or through the Speakers ?

T.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!