1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing text in Start Menu, Control Panel, various parts of computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jroberson, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jroberson

jroberson Thread Starter

I got a friend who is having problems with his XP. His start menu shows all the icons for programs but under some things like My Computer, and some others, there is no text or title text. On Facebook, you can see a person's picture on the feed, but no name. In Firefox, with new tabs, it doesn't show what the tab titles are. Control panel too also shows all icons and no title.

I have checked all of his files for viruses and his registry for errors. I cannot find a thing. I did find that when it messed up on the 4th, he had updated all his Adobe Reader, Java, Adobe Flash, and Shockwave. I checked all of his modified and created files for the 4th and these are all that are shown.

I tried to maybe uninstall SP3 but in the Add/ Remove, the Remove button is not there, so I went to the $NtUninstall files to get rid of it, and it will go through the process of uninstalling and then pop up saying the file could not be specified. So I tried to reinstall it, and it came up.."Setup could not verify the integrity of Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic Services is running on this computer. I tried to check and the computer freezes when in Services. And doesn't come back.

On websites, some of them look like someone took a white out pen and whited-out some of the text in various parts of the text. The attached pictures are of the start menu, and a Facebook profile page.:confused:

His computer is about 5yrs old. He is running XP and it is from Dell. He has 512 RAM and 80GB space.

Attached Files:

2. TekTime

TekTime

I would suggest using the XP installation disk and performing a "repair install."

3. jroberson

jroberson Thread Starter

well I know that lol. I would have done that a long time ago if he would let me. Actually, if it was me I'd either wipe it or just get another one because it's so slow cuz it's old. I've told him to back it up on an external in case those are the only options. He just wants me to do everything I can so we don't have to wipe it. :rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!