1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing text Wordpad

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by skypr, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skypr

skypr Thread Starter

In adding text to a saved Wordpad .rtf document, upon re-opening it, in place of the new addition, there are lines of slashes-(previous entered text is okay). Is there a way of knowing if Wordpad is too full? When I use a word I know is in the newly added text in "Edit/Find on this page", that portion of the newly added text appears. Can I retrieve the slashed text? Thanks for any help!

2. draceplace

draceplace

I don't understand the question

3. skypr

skypr Thread Starter

I don't know how to explain it better, but will try:When I open a saved Wordpad document, after the correctly saved text appears, there are many lines like this:
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    appearing instead of the most recently added text. Is the most recently added text gone for good or can it be retrieved? Hope this helps.

4. draceplace

draceplace

I'm thinking its gone forever unless a back up was made before the corruption. You can by software that might find the previous version. Some will let you find the file but you have to go ahead and pay to see whats in it. If its important might be worth it...

How are you adding text to this document? Looks like a the document might have been opened accidently (kids, pets??) and someone layed on the //////// key...

5. skypr

skypr Thread Starter

I really appreciate your trying to help me with this problem, draceplace.
    Alas, I didn't make a backup copy of the info, as I add to it nearly every day. Can you remember any of the names of the software for retrieval? I'm afraid there may be several pages with the same problem. No one or pet has access to the PC but me.

6. draceplace

draceplace

I used GetDataBack from here: http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm a few years ago with success.on recovering some deleted files. They do have a free demo.
    Be sure and read the instructions because at that time I had to run (or at least write) the software from/to a different drive than what you were trying to recover because the writing of the recovered data will conflict with the recovery. It also worked from remote machines on a network so I could recover data from single hard drive machines. (laptops).

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

7. skypr

skypr Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info, draceplace-you've certainly thrown me a lifeline-:D!. Will try to get my PC-literate son-in-law to help with this- he's so busy, I may have to get an appointment-<8/...will be sure to let you know the outcome....skypr

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

skypr, if you have fixed everything, please use the button at the top to mark this thread as Solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice