1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing the mp3 file download window

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by d4l3d, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

I have XP SP2 and IE6

I've lost the download dialog box that appears when you click on an mp3 download link. The files appear to start downloading to I-don't-know-where without any prompt. I still get a box when I download just about anything else so far, including ogg files.

I've tried the only two possible remedies I've found to date.

In Internet Explorer; Tools>Internet Options>Security>Internet
    Made sure I had the default settings then exited IE.

In Windows Explorer; Tools.>Folder Options>File Types>MP3>Advanced
    Made sure "confirm open after download" was checked.

Maybe I'm missing steps/proper order?

I know I have right-click options, downloaders etc. but there are times when it's very helpful to open a file from a site directly into Winamp. Other browsers could be a problem for me with certain sites. Would like to stick with IE if possible.

Any help would be appreciated, d4l3d

2. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

Update.

I just came from a site that provides a download button for an mp3. The button doesn't allow a right click for download. When I hit it I get the mp3 file download window I've been looking for. So I went back to a standard url link for an mp3 and the box still isn't being called up. I'm hoping this info can help someone to help me.

d4l3d

3. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

Anyone? Please?

d4l3d

4. sekirt

sekirt

5. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

sekirt,

Thank you very much for replying. Unfortunately that's not my problem. I knew I wasn't going to make myself clear. I have those right-click options. It's left-click that's the problem.

I want to download an mp3. I left-click on the link. I should then get a box headed "File Download - Security Warning". This is the box that has the three buttons; open, save and cancel. After I select open or save this should reveal, underneath, the download box with the progress bar .

None of that happens.

When I left-click on an mp3 link now the only thing I see is a notice in the status bar at the bottom of my browser window that I'm downloading and traffic activity in my Zonealarm system tray icon.

Again, this only happens when I try to download mp3s. Zips, executables, even ogg files all work like they're supposed to.

I want those boxes back. I want it to behave as it should.

I really appreciate the attempt. If you, or anyone else has an idea, I sure would be open to suggestions.

d4l3d

6. sekirt

sekirt

Not sure this will produce what you want...
    open Folder Options (Windows Explorer->Tools or possibly View).

File Types Tab
    Go down the list until you find MP3
    Click edit. There is a check-box Confirm open after download. If it is already checked, uncheck it. If it is not checked, then check it. See if that makes any difference.

Mine is unchecked - but normally, a left-click for an MP3 opens Windows Media Player and streams rather than downloads. So are you sure the file is downloading or is it that your WMP did not open?

sekirt

7. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

sekirt,

Thanks for taking another shot and keep 'em coming but, as I mentioned in my original post I was already in where you just pointed me and yes, I tried it checked and unchecked. I use Winamp, by the way, but the results should be the same.

I'm one of the "great unwashed" who can't afford more than a basic dialup connection. It sounds like yours is much faster. Since your check box is unchecked and because of your faster connection, you would begin streaming right away. That's assuming I'm understanding your situation correctly.

Because of my connection speed I would have to wait awhile before I would even know if Winamp would open. I haven't done that because I don't think it would tell me much. My dilemma being that it should be logical I would get the "File Download - Security Warning" box since that check box is checked for me. I don't.

Chances are the answer is something like the ideas your giving me. I'm failing at thinking up alternatives which is why another mind is so helpful.

Thanks, d4l3d

8. sekirt

sekirt

Yup. You sure did. Read it the first time, missed it when I posted last.

Can you provide a link(s) that you think is supposed to pop-up the Open Save Cancel box? I'll try it and see what happens.

sekirt

9. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

Try this;

http://www.stasisfield.com/mp3z_05/SF-5003-01-chinook.mp3

In fact, you can try anything at stasisfield. All the netlabels I frequent behave the same for me.

Just a reminder that your set up to bypass the " File Download - Security Warning / Open Save Cancel / why is this happening to me " box if you don't change anything at your end.

d4l3d

10. sekirt

sekirt

Left click opens up Windows Media Player - it normally would stream but I don't allow WMP access to the net.

Right click (Save Target As...) produces box to save download - and then download starts.

I think that is what you will find is true with almost all MP3 (or other music files and video files as well). I think if you get a download "Open-Save-Cancel" it is because the site programed it that way.

I don't do much of that, so if someone knows different, kindly post some information.

sekirt

11. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

sekirt,

Well. I don't know what to say. I've got over 20GBs of audio and video files and I've never not had the box come up as a security buffer between the left-click and the actual download. That's what I understand is usual in XP.

Until a couple of weeks ago the link I provided would have given me the "open save cancel" box. I have gotten the same wrong behavior in the past two weeks from enumerable mp3 netlabels that I've often downloaded from.

Keep in mind this is only happening with mp3s. I get the "open save cancel" with every other media download.
    Just to make sure I'm not crazy (at least about this), I went to a site I use that presents each of their soundworks as an mp3 and ogg. The ogg file works as I expect it to when I left-click it. The mp3 file just starts downloading. It doesn't even have the courtesy to call up my player. It just starts dumping into ,I assume, internet temp. No warning, no interface of any kind.

It seems that what each of us expects to be normal is quite different.
    What's telling to me is that the two fixes I did find where meant to address this problem. So it doesn't appear that my expectations are without merit. The fixes just didn't work for me.

It's too bad you were the only one willing to give it a try considering how it's turning out.

Now I'm really at a loss, d4l3d

12. sekirt

sekirt

Since it has only been a couple of weeks - did you try System Restore?

One other thought I had - any chance there is some setting in Win Amp that would turn that on or off?

sekirt

13. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

sekirt,

I figured I would have lost you by now out of frustration.

Should have mentioned "System Restore" up front. Yes, I did, early on. Also, "Last Known Good Configuration".

What's maddening is the answer is probably going to be some obscure check-box or, more likely, a single registry value that needs to be beaten into submission.

You possess an obviously unique generosity regarding your time and patience.

Thanks, d4l3d

14. sekirt

sekirt

:D You might lose me, I am getting close to running out of ideas.

Give IEFix a try.
    For Windows version (Win 98/ME/2000/XP) - Download iefix:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/download/iefix.zip

It is a general purpose repair utility for Internet Explorer which repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files. Additionally if it detects Windows 2000/XP as the Operating System, it runs SFC to restore missing or corrupt Windows system files. Read about it here before using:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

sekirt

15. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

Some not-too-wonderful things are happening to my life on this end. Will be a few days (?) before I can report.

d4l3d

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice