1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing the VMM32.VXD file

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

The electricity went out on the computer without the backup on it, the Win98se with 120 GB HDD and the 1.2 CPU. I rebooted after it froze, and it came up with this message: VMM32.VXD is required to run windows
    If this file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall windows.
    C:\

Once again I feel like a lost puppy. I rebooted my win98se, but after the Partition Magic access box comes up, I'm getting the same message. I have my CD as 1st boot to reinstall Windows, but that ain't getting it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. xico

xico Thread Starter

Scanreg/restore BTW did not work.

3. junker39

junker39

Try your boot floppy and reinstall from the cd.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That file is in the Win98 source files. Just extract it from there.

Certainly alot faster than a reinstall.

5. xico

xico Thread Starter

I would do that if I had the commands. Im at the C prompt, and looking at the MS_DOS Users Guide, but it'll be a while before I can figure out the correct commands.
    Any suggestions?

6. KeithKman

KeithKman

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The easiest way it to copy the OS source files to a directory on your hard drive.

Change to that directory

The hard part it typically figuring out which cab file has the one you want. Fortunately this is a line you can enter in which will search all the cab files for the file you want and then extract it. Took me a little while to figure out but here it is:

for %p in (*.cab) do extract %p vmm32.vxd.

This will extract that file to the same directory as your source files. Then copy it to the \windows\system directory

Have this posted on my site from sometime around six years ago:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/app_tips.htm#extract

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

KeithKman,

The original post says "the Win98se with 120 GB HDD and the 1.2 CPU"

Pretty sure Win95, with a 2 gig partition limit on a 120 gig drive would be a bit of a partition mess ;-)

9. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thanks, Bob. I gona start on it right now. Thanks for your link too. Very interesting. :D

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Copying vmm32.vxd from the Windows files is a complete waste of time. That file is a shell that is used at Windows install time to build the real one. AND, if the file is really there (and just not being seen by Windows), this procedure will wipe it out, and definitely force you into a reinstall.

BTW I presume that you have already tried looking for the file on your drive to confirm that it really is, in fact, missing?
    IE: Boot with your boot disk and at the prompt enter
    C:
    CD \
    dir vmm32.vxd /s

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I stand corrected.

If you reinstall on top of your current version it will replace the file without needing to reinstall your apps or change current configurations.

12. xico

xico Thread Starter

I'm headed for the bed now. It's late; but I seem to be having other problems that I'll have to figure out. The CD Rom has "failed" when I tried to boot from the CD; When I try to use the floppy boot disk, I get another failed message.
    I've had the CD as 1st boot device in the BIOS, and now I've changed it back to the floppy. Thanks, I'll be working on it in the morning.

13. xico

xico Thread Starter

The message I get is

Volume in Drive C has no label
    Volume serial number is 2D27-1BE8

Directory of C:\

File not found

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are booting to a floppy,
    changing to the C: drive,
    And there are no files there,
    It sounds like you have more than just a missing VMM32.VXD file.

What else has been done in the meantime?

15. xico

xico Thread Starter

At the moment, for whatever reason, I'm getting a CD failure, so I can't boot from it. My boot disk gets a message error too. But the floppy works on a different kind of floppy, like Partition Magic.

Just started with the boot disk! I clicked on Start with CD Support, and then I've come to: To get help, type Help and press ENTER:

a:\

any suggestions?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!