1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing User Logon in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Squire123, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Squire123

Squire123 Thread Starter

I have Win XP Professoinal on an OEM installed Dell Dimension 4600C. My user logon seems to be missing.

Recently I installed some antivirus software that comes with my ATT DSL
    account. An error encountered during the install prompted me to make a
    registry change that involved something like changing the parent
    permissions - I recall two check boxes beneath the user accounts.

Regardless, I backed up the registry prior to making the change. After I
    edited the registry, I noticed two things. 1) The only user account that
    was listed in the Registry editor which was "Guest" was gone. 2) The drives were missing on "My computer" and there was just a box that had a:-z:.

Now when I restart the computer my user account and icon is missing
    and there is a blue screen with a windows xp icon to the right of center and it hangs.

I cannot start in safe mode. I get the same screen as above. I was able to
    start receovery console after I used NT Offline Password and Registry
    Editor to "unenforce" the administrator password login since it wouldn't
    take a blank password or my usual password.

My question is - can I recover. I do have a registry backup and I have all
    of my data backed up. I'm just trying to avoid reinstalling programs. I am
    aware of repair installs. Just wondering if there is a better option.

Thank you!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yeah, maybe, but there's a caveat to it.

Read below:

USING THE RECOVERY CONSOLE TO ACCESS SYSTEM RESTORE

If you do not have an XP CD download rc.iso from Elvandil's post here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/561576-mom-exe.html#post4622868
    Burn the .iso file to CD. With Nero or Roxio you should only need to "open" the file and it will start the burner's ISO burning program.

DeepBurner can also be used to burn ISO files, I recommend the “portable” version:

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

Once that is done, you need to boot with either that or the XP installation CD to the Recovery Console. You may need to ensure that the CD drive is the first boot drive in the BIOS setup if it just boots to the same screen. Setup is accessed by looking for the key to press on the first data you see on the screen -- often F2

Directions are given here:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

There are several things to note about this operation.

1 > it is not a "reinstall" of Windows, but a method of accessing System Restore.

2 > all command lines are one line with appropriate spacing -- the doc file does not always reflect this.

3 > you must complete all 3 parts for it to be a proper restore.

4 > in the first part of this document you are given the command:

copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

you may get a "file not found" when running this command. If you do, substitute this command instead:

copy C:\windows\repair\system.bak C:\windows\system32\config\system

>> See also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us
    note the warning in this article. But if you have an OEM system and no other choice but a clean install -- try it anyway.

3. Squire123

Squire123 Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I see the OEM warning but I have already reset my admin password so maybe that won't affect me.

One more question. While I have all of my important files backed up, I would still like to copy some data off the hard drive before I attempt this but I keep getting the "access denied" message at the recovery console when I try to copy. Is there a way to work around this? I know the limitations of recovery console but is there some sort of alternative DOS based way to copy files?

Thanks!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No not at the present time, but there is a future hack that can allow you to copy from otherwise denied locations -- it involves a registry change.
    If you want to copy data now you would have to load the drive as a slave in another system -- or get an IDE to USB converter.

http://winhlp.com/node/78

Attached Files:

5. Squire123

Squire123 Thread Starter

I was able to complete the entire repair procedure. However, after step 4 when I restarted XP, I get this error message:

Isass.exe "When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct." Then it just cycles repeatedly.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think that is the warning previously referenced. Does it matter whether you try to start in Safe Mode with the built-in Administrator account or your own personal account?

I believe some others have gotten around, but we have a policy here against public advice so I will just PM you with a possible suggestion.

7. Squire123

Squire123 Thread Starter

Thank you for your assistance. I tried a different restore point and was able to start my system with my usual account. Perhaps I typed something wrong the first time. Regardless, I am much happier. Thank you for your time!

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hey that's great -- if all is well feel free to mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu here.

We always like to see that :)

You're most welcome for the help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!