1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing USERS at log in screen WinXP PRO

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MrMisinformation, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMisinformation

MrMisinformation Thread Starter

Win XP PRO / SP3
    CPU – Athlon 2700
    Mobo – ASUS A8V Del
    Mem – 1Gig
    HD – WD5000AADS 500GB partitioned into OS = 75GB / DATA = 387GB
    HD it has jumper installed to reduce speed for Mobo

System had developed serious problems and was effectively inaccessible. Would take about 30 minutes to boot up. Very long time to do anything at all.
    Removed HD and tested in other system. Access also extremely slow. Ran the usual Chkdsk etc. In order to access at all I made partition inactive. Unselected Indexing.
    Still as secondary drive would take many minutes just to see drive or to open a folder.

Finally in good computer I used new drive, exact same model. Formatted & Partitioned it up the same and used Symantec Ghost to bring over everything, partition by partition. Took over 70 hours for the OS partition to finish via ghost. Selected option to force through bad blocks.
    Ghost reported a good copy.
    Placed new drive in bad system. Boots fast and smooth.
    However when it gets to log in screen it stops. Shows the windows logo in small – normal size with blue background same as normal MSFT WinXP log in screen.. Does NOT show “click user” does NOT show any users (there are 4 user accounts with two of them being Admins). Only shows windows logo. The system is not frozen. The mouse moves fine. The monitor times out according to APM. I can RDP in and with RDP it lets me log in with the ADMIN user name and password. However the RDP will only bring up a screen showing logging in, loading settings, then a blank blue screen and knocks me off in about 6 seconds. No commands will execute. A ctrl+alt+del will not have any effect.
    I have used a BART –PE CD to boot up and get in and administrate. Originally had to change drive partition to active. To have it recognized but since no idea.
    Using the Bart CD on old drive extremely slow file opens etc. Using Bart CD with new drive very fast file access etc.
    This is someone else’ system. I NEED to save the system as is. I do not have the programs to reload etc.
    System has PC Anywhere installed & might also be running in background.
    Remember no commands seem to be able to be run on it.
    Obviously there is damage somewhere.
    Any ideas?

2. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

try a reclone, maybe something wasnt copied correctly.

Will safe mode work?

3. MrMisinformation

MrMisinformation Thread Starter

No, Safe mode produces the exact same result. At first it shows the familiar splash screen with the "safe mode" in each corner on a black background then quickly changes to the same screen as before. Standard dark Blue top and bottom, light blue center. Windows logo in the middle. No divider bar, No users listed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice