1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Vista Features?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TitusCicero, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TitusCicero

TitusCicero Thread Starter

I use to have Vista 32 installed and I just recently installed Vista 64. There are a few features I had with the 32bit version that I do not have with the 64bit version. FIrst that I was able to have the Areo view with the 32bit version which is now not available (the transparent dialogs and other stuff.) Also when I did a control-alt-tab when I was playing video I could see the video in the application change dialog. I no longer have that feature either. Both the 32bit and 64bit were sp1. Any ideas why I am missing features in the 64bit ulimate version that I had with the 32bit version? THanks.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Please list the 32 bit version of Vista that you have............
    ............and then list the 64 bit version of Vista that you have

Different versions come with different features.

3. TitusCicero

I am not sure. I received them via a college software program.

THe iso image for the 32bit version is: en_windows_vista_x86_dvd_X12-34293

The 64bit version is: vista_ultimate_sp1_x86-x64_activated

I installed sp1 on both of them.

I hope that helps.

4. TitusCicero

I am wondering what other features I am missing that I am unaware of.

Also, something weird, my windows experience index is 1.0. It says my "Desktop performance for Windows Aero" is 1.0. But I have an XFX GeForce 8800GT. I installed drivers from Nvidia. Should I install the drivers that came with the card. Maybe that would solve my problems?

Thanks

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Refresh the rating. I think they all come defaulted very low.

6. TitusCicero

Didn't work. :( Tried downloading the software drivers from XFX for the video card but they want a serial number and I am @ work going through remote desktop so I am unable to get the serial number. :(

Stupid, why does it matter if I have a serial number? ARGH Why would I download XFX drivers if I don't have an XFX card. ARGH

Any other suggestions?

7. deanpcmad

deanpcmad

Where did you get the ISO images from? It sounds like you have downloaded them by torrent. Is this right?

deanpcmad

8. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    We don't talk about P2P downloading on this forum so be careful.

9. TitusCicero

Again, I am a CIS major in college. I am part of the MS Scholar program or whatever it is called. I get ALL MS software for free (or more like part of my tuition which isn't cheap.) Anyway I got the ISO images from MS direct. The 64 bit version, I actually slipstreamed in the SP1 and therefore, obviously, made a new image...so the image name is not the original.

EDIT: Does anyone here us the NVidia reference drivers for their GeForce 8800GT card? The drivers I downloaded have no options to it when I go to properties of the card in device manager? Seems unusual.

And if anyone knows where I can get a serial number for the XFX GeForce 8800GT I would be grateful. Though I guess I can see the admins frowning on that.

10. TitusCicero

I installed the XFX GeForce Drivers and the Windows Aero Feature appeared to be available. Once the Aero was used the crtl-alt-del thumbnails and live video re-appeared. The Windows experience index increased to 5.8 gor graphics from 1. Is that good?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice