1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing VMM32\NTKERN.VXD

Discussion in 'Archive: Web & Email' started by bb, Feb 9, 1999.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bb

bb Guest Thread Starter

I could really use some help in trying to fix this problem. I started to load AOL4.0 and my computer locked up. When I restarted it all it would do was go on then tell me it was safe to shut down. I went into safe mode and at C:\ del the AOL~1 file and now I get this message even after I reloaded windows 95. "a device file that is specified in System.ini file is damaged. It may be needed to run Windows.
    You maay need to run the Windows setup program again. If the file is inccluded in another software package, you may need to reinstall C:\Windows\system\VMM32\NTKERN.VXD
    press a key to continue

I don't know that much about Win 95 or these files please help.
    Thanks
    bb

------------------
    bb

2. Robert

Robert Guest Thread Starter

bb,

You can start out by removing all the files from the C:\Windows\Temp and then going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and see if there is an entry for AOL in there...then Remove it...

Now go to Start|Run and type in SYSTEM.INI and in the menu bar, you will see Search...click on it and in Find type in NTKERN and if an entry comes up..then place a semi-colon ( [​IMG] in front of it for now...

If it does not find any...then type in Aol and see if that comes up with something...

Good Luck...

3. LarryCore

LarryCore Guest Thread Starter

That error is pretty common when you install USB support for windows 95, then run the windoows 95 setup program again, but do NOT put USB support back in. Have you run the Win95 setup program recently? If you search your Win95 CD for USB you should find a file called something like USBSUPP.EXE - if you run that it will put the missing files back in (assuming I'm right, of course).

4. Nathan

Nathan Guest Thread Starter

How do you not install the USB on a 95 installation? Was I falling asleep when I was doing it all those times? I know we installed it on the earlier B version that didn't have it on the CD-rom from a floppy. And the later B version it was on the CD, but we still had to manually install it. Is that what you're referring to?

You can look on the top of the CD and see if it says USB on it. If it doesn't, then it's not on it.

5. LarryCore

USB is an optional installation on OSR2 and 2.5 - it was not included in the upgrade or version A if I remember correctly.

In any case, you had to manually go to the USB directory on the CD and run the installation program. It was never automated.

That was what I meant. If you DO run that manual installation, then reinstall Windows and DON'T run the manual installation, you get the error being reported here.

6. bb

bb Guest Thread Starter

Reinstalling the USB support worked GREAT!!
    Now, if I could just get rid of the error message that shows up.
    It says:
    Windows is searching for aoltray.exe. To locate the file yourself, click browse.

Then this message comes up if you do nothing:
    The item "aoltray.exe" that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved. The nearest match, based on size, date, and type, is C:\Sierra\setup.exe
    Do you want this shortcut to point to this?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    bb

7. LarryCore

Go to Start, Settings, Taskbar, Start Menu Programs, Remove - scroll down to Startup and you will find an AOL icon in there. Click on it and click remove.

8. bb

bb Guest Thread Starter

Thanks so much Larry Core, Nathan and Robert for taking the time to help. Reloading the USB did fix the VMM32 error and I didn't know you could open the program list up in taskbar.

Once again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
    my computer is my friend again. At least until I do some other silly thing and mess it up again.
    Thanks,
    bb

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/39539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice