1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Windows Mail/Microsoft Office 2003 Document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Johanne, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johanne

Johanne Thread Starter

I am operating on Windows Vista Home Edition. I received an email with an application form for a job as an attachement. I completed the form off of the attachement and pressed the floppy disc icon to save it. I then made an alteration and when I went to close it I was prompted whether or not to save the changes. I pressed save. When I went to open the document as an attachement my additions were not there. I have done the following to try and find it on my laptop. Whilst on the document pressed save as instead to see where it would save it to. I have then tracked that up to local/microsoft/windows but then I am requested to go into Temporary Internet then Content IE5. These last 2 folders do not show up on my hard drive. I have show hidden files open. Can you please help. Spent hours completing this form. Ta Johanne

2. Sponsor

3. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I have bad news and bad news, which do you want to hear first? (just teasing and I am sorry that you lost your data) I am guessing you opened the file via webmail even thought you stated in the subject line that you opened it via Windows mail. Typically when you reopen the said attachment for Outlook, IE etc it will overwrite the temporary file that was previously made. I try to get my users in the habit of hitting F12 which is the hotkey for save as and save the attachment immediately. I would recommend that you open up another email that has an attachment and open up that attachment. Hit the save as hotkey (F12) and check where you are saving the file. Then use Windows+E which is the windows explorer hotkey and browse for that folder.

4. Johanne

Johanne Thread Starter

Hi Ya,

Thanks for that, usually I do a save as and choose my own place to save documents, however not this time! Did you what said but the file it is saved in is in temporary internet then content.ie5 folder. These 2 folders dont appear to be on my laptop. This is where I am having the problem. Thanks Johanne

5. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    make sure you are showing hidden files and folders in the folder above the one you are trying to look in. When you show hidden files and folders it usually only applies it to the folder you were in when you applied the change.

6. Johanne

Johanne Thread Starter

Hi ya, thank you once again for replying. I found another way of finding the file and the folder it was in. It had not saved my modifications but only a copy of the original document. Never mind will just have to do the form again. Cheers Johanne

7. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    When you saved it initially it probably did save it, but when you opened it again from the message, then it overwrote those changes with the original document.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/772623