1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Wireless Internet Connection Icon After Replacing Hard Drive--Please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cheselle, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheselle

cheselle Thread Starter

Hello,

I am in desperate need of some technical help. I have a Hp Pavillion desktop with a service pack 2 windows xp operating system My little sister's hard drive on her computer crashed so I replaced it with a new one. Before the crash, I had set up a wireless network with a linksys router just fine and the internet worked perfectly on that computer. However, after replacing the hard drive with the new one and rebooting the system, I proceeded to try to reconnect to the internet; however, the "wireless connection" icon is missing from the network connections place. I have already gone in to the wireless configuration zero and it says it is started (and I have restarted it) I am so frustrated and my mom threw away the installation cd for the router so i can not re set up the internet...

Any suggestions please :) My 11 year old sister and my mother and most definitely me would be greatly appreciated :) :) :)

2. srhoades

srhoades

Did you install the drivers for the wireless adapter?

3. cheselle

cheselle Thread Starter

Hi, I am not quite that techie to understand by installing the "drivers" but I do know that they are there but they have yellow "?" marks next to them under the device manager...

not sure what that means--thank you for your willingness to help!

4. srhoades

srhoades

That means you don't have the drivers installed. You can get the drivers for your system by going to the HP website and putting in the model of your computer. You will need to get to model and version number of your wireless adapters and go to the manufacturer website for those drivers.

5. cheselle

cheselle Thread Starter

Okay, thank you :) is there way of getting that on a flashdrive because I can't connect to the internet on that at all :(

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, use a USB flash drive to copy the drivers needed from a computer with internet access to the problem computer.

7. cheselle

cheselle Thread Starter

I can't seem the driver download I need anywhere on the hp website. I have xp and I need it for an hp pavilion a6300t and I am not sure where to go from here. My mother didn't keep any of the disks to this computer besides the os and ms office ones!

8. srhoades

srhoades

Does your computer have built in wireless or are you using a USB or PCI add in card wireless adapter?

9. cheselle

cheselle Thread Starter

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For a PCI adapter you may need to get the driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice