1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Wireless Network Adapter... but I can still get online

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Talanta, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Talanta

Talanta Thread Starter

I've had a brand new Dell Vostro 1500 laptop since November, with a wireless internet network set up that has, up until this point, been working perfectly. Yesterday when I fired up my laptop it was inexplicable extremely slow in loading, logging in, etc. There appeared to be no reason for this, and just 3 hours before when I had been using it it was working perfectly, as normal. Finally, after it took a very long time to load, it came up with the message that "no wireless network adapter was detected in the system". There is no apparent reason for this - we have not touched the hardware since it was set up several months ago.

This notification message gave me an option to "follow these recommended steps to resolve the issue", advising my to right click on My Computer, go to Properties, go to the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager before clicking on Network Adapters and proceeding with further steps... but whenever I click on Device Manager, I then get a new error message, saying "Microsoft Management Console has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.".

Yet despite these problems, I am able to access internet pages, log on to MSN, and my wireless manager tells me that I am successfully connected to my network! My laptop is still occasionally a bit slow, but not as slow as it was when initially the problem occurred.

My wireless is Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless and uses Netgear.

2. Talanta

Talanta Thread Starter

Additional information: I also discovered that since yesterday even when teh laptop was inexplicably slow and after which the missing wireless network adapter message appeared, I also seem to have absolutely no sound on my laptop. I press the volume buttons up and down and nothing happens - I don't mean I get the box showing they are going up a notch or down a notch and not hearing anything... I don't even get the box showing that sound is going up or down when I press the buttons, and I have no sound at all.

3. Talanta

Talanta Thread Starter

Now I can't play DVDs on my laptop either! Normally I just put them in the disc drive and they fire up automatically. This time, nada, and I get teh message "CyberLink PowerCinema Main Program has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your destination seems to be a reinstall of Windows or returning the PC for repairs. You do have all your data backed up, right?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice