1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing wireless network adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by merl1977, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merl1977

merl1977 Thread Starter

Hello,

Amateur in need of assistance. I have a HP Pavilion dv9308nr laptop. I purchased the machine about 3 1/2 years ago and had minimal issues. Just last week i noticed my wireless was disconnected...orange light... I didn't think much of it and tried to restart my computer. I have not been able to use my wireless since. (I can connect wired to my router. I also know the issue is not with my router since the other wireless devices in my house work fine.) The driver is missing from the device manager and I have tried to reinstall drivers from HP's site but they have not installed correctly. I am not super technical and at a loss on what steps to take next. I would appreciate any help you could provide. If additional information is needed please let me know.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52, x64 Family 15 Model 72 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 958 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 107724 MB, Free - 56535 MB; D: Total - 6746 MB, Free - 626 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 30B9, 65.27, None
    Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Thanks,
    Marla

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    What happens ?

Drivers for wireless from HP site here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3370371#N2090

Have you tried to remove the adapter and then let windows detect on a reboot and then install the drivers
    to remove the adapter - goto device manager right click on the adapter and uninstall

would you post back an image of device manager

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Marla:

If the wireless switch light is staying amber and not changing to blue or green, and if the wireless adapter isn't listed in the Device Manager, and if installing the driver for the wireless adapter doesn't get it to work or appear in the Device Manager, it's my guess it's gone bad and isn't being detected anymore.

I've seen this happen to some laptops that were a number of years old.

If etaf or one of the other experts here can't resolve your problem, my advise is to buy an external USB wireless adapter for that laptop.

Here is the one that I've used and had good success with.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice