1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing XXX.386 device files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Book Worm, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Book Worm

Book Worm Thread Starter

911!!! The following device files were deleted from my registry:

VMID.386
    VDMIBIOD.386
    DISKAC.386
    BIOSAC.386
    CS_VDB.386

Ran system edit & found 'autoexe.bat' file empty.

Also get a message reading "'cservice.exe' in WIN.INI file is missing."

Tried re-installing Windows 95 and restoring registry, but nothing works!

Also looked in Microsoft Support website, but got dizzy going around in circles.

Please help!!!

Thanx to all in advance.

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

What type of system are you using?
    What applications do you have set to run at startup?
    (I'm assuming that that's when you receive this error message).

These files sound like they might relate to a BIOS or disk-access/management utility or something, (.386 is for enhanced-mode drivers, right?), but I'm not sure. Someone else in the forum might be able to shed more light on what these files are for.

Please post back with more info.

:)

3. Book Worm

Book Worm Thread Starter

Forgive me for being so brain-dead when it comes to computers. I'm running on Windows 95. When it boots up, I get all these messages stating, 'Cannot find device files to run Windows...' Eventually, I am able to get into Windows 95, but then I get the second error message telling me that the 'cservice.exe file in WIN.INI file' is missing.

I've tried re-installing program, but nothing seems to work. There's also nothing in the recycle bin.

4. columbo

columbo

Hi Book Worm,

You'll have to let us know what's running at startup. Go to Start, Run, then type in regedit. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and \RunServices

Please post the contents of the right-window pane. It should be a list of several programs.

Also, when I asked you about the "type" of system you're using, I was referring to the make/model. Is it an IBM, Dell, Compaq, etc.?
    Is it a notebook or a desktop?
    The reason I ask is that often big-name companies (like Compaq), have special disk-management or setup software that they install with their systems, and your missing files could be related to such a program.

Sorry about any misunderstanding

;)

5. Book Worm

Book Worm Thread Starter

Sorry again... I'm running Windows 95 on Sony desk top (pre-installed). I'm not at that computer right now, so I'll have to run a REGEDIT when I get home.

6. Book Worm

Book Worm Thread Starter

Ok, I was finally able to correct the previous problems by installing a recovery disk. However, upon doing so, I kept getting the following message: 'DOS SYS command has failed to transfer files to hard drive'.

When I continued the recovery, everything seemed fine until I installed AOL 7.0. Every time I try logging on to AOL, the following comes up and I get kicked out: 'WAOL.EXE file is linked to missing export OLEAUT32.DLL-277'.

Any answers please?

P.S. - I'm running Windows 95.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice