1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missuse of e-mail address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dannym, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannym

dannym Thread Starter

Someoe is sending me messages using my e-mail address to me which l assume have a virus on them l cannot trace it as when l double click on the dmba etc naturally it shows my address. l have been swamped by the con artists from West Africa and replied to them using some good old Anglo Saxon @*~ etc can someone please help me bearing in mind l am a novive and comp talk of more that 2 sllabals (oops) burns me brain out. All the best to one and all especially our Webmaster Dannym

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

dannym
    There is virtually nothing you can do if the E-Mail cannot be traced back to the source and unfortunately someone is infected with a virus that you have communicated with via E-mail. There are several viruses once they get into a system use the victims Address book and starts sending out E-Mails infected with itself. It changes the From field to your name to disguise itself.
    Just make sure your Antivirus is up-to-date and run a full virus scan to make sure you didn't catch what is going around.

Now about the Spammers. I found the easiest way to ride myself of spammers is using mailwasher. Mailwasher has the ability to preview mail while it still reside on the server and you can select either to delete it, (If you do not want to deal with it at that point but still wish to receive E-mail from them) or you can select Bounce, (Which will delete the E-mail off server, send an undeliverable message to sender, and also create a Blacklist entry in you mailwasher file for future instances of that sender.

If the possible virus with your name as sender is the ones you are referring to as spam you can always use mailwasher to because how many time do you send yourself E-Mail.

Mailwasher

Dave

3. Corrosive

Corrosive

As said, there are plenty of virii that do things similar to what you describe, with Klez being one of the more common ones. Also, never reply to any spam you get. No matter how vitrolic you're reply is, they will know that you're address is a good 'un and he and his buddies will just send you more. Just delete them, or try Mailwasher.

4. jmatt

jmatt

Maybe this way !

http://www.spammotel.com/spammotel/more.html
    Now you can stop junk e-mail, a.k.a. spam, from cluttering up your inbox. SpamMotel's unique
    patent-pending technology lets you know exactly where the sender got your e-mail address, and
    lets you block all e-mail from that sender with just a click of your mouse. It also blocks
    e-mail from anyone the sender gave, or more likely sold, your e-mail address to.

Unlike other e-mail programs, SpamMotel does not rely on filters. Instead, we give you
    rock-solid control that filters and other methods simply cannot provide.

SpamMotel works with your existing e-mail program. There is no need to change your current
    e-mail account; and because it is web-based, there is nothing to install on your computer. When
    you download the SpamMotel User Interface and place it on your desktop, it is ready to go. Fast,
    free, and easy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice