Mistake to switch video cards?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MPeg3

I am thinking of switching my video card for one that has both a DVI and VGA connection. Would I be losing anything? The one with the dual connection is an ATI Radeon 9200, 128MB Video Memory (128-bit DDR) 8X AGP 3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration. The one I would be replacing is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE (256MB) 3D Accelerator nVIDIA C51.

I don't need it for games, just to work with photos. I would be switching them so I can set up a dual monitor.

Thanks
Peg

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
Depending on your system -- you might be able to enable the on-board graphics through BIOS, and run dual that way. :cool:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd do what you originally intended, put in the dual-head video card. You'll be running a single driver for both displays, and the dual monitor capability is integrated into the driver. With dissimilar brands, you'll have two video drivers and more limited options on configuring the dual monitors. You'll also have more power dissipation, an extra slot used, etc. Finally, do you really have two slots that are compatible with those cards? I can't imagine you have two AGP slots, or an AGP and a PCI-X slot.

MPeg3

Ugh! Good question. I'm not sure what all those terms mean, but I thought the card I wanted to use with the DVI and VGA connection would go into one of my PCI slots. However, as I looked at it, I can see that the card on my Gateway computer isn't in a PCI slot like the other computer has and I don't see any way to switch my card in this one to the other computer. Guess I will have to give it up and settle for one monitor.

Thanks anyway.

MPeg3

Would it work and, hopefully, be cheaper to get a regular single video card and install it into a PCI slot? Could I set up 2 monitors that way? I'm thinking it might not need as great of graphics since I mainly will be using it to hold my photo tools and will have my photos on my primary monitor.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can try it, I've always had MUCH better luck running with a dual-head card. A dual-head card that's as good as the one you have should be pretty cheap.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Since your computer is fairly new it should have a PCI-Express slot. Mixing two video cards rarely ever works as nicely as having card with two outputs. If so you can get a cheap dual head card for under $50: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...05520548+4025&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&SubCategory=48
I would not recommend the Radeon 9250 as it does not support DirectX 9(ie. not supported under Vista if you ever decide to upgrade), nor is it supported by ATI for drivers anymore.

If you provide us with the exact model number of the computer you have we may be able to find out for sure what slots it has.

MPeg3

My computer is a Gateway GT5220

I just talked with a live support person from Gateway and they told me I needed a $399 card to set up a second monitor. That $50 sounds much more do-able.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Well that system does have a free PCI-Express X16 slot and there's no need to spend $399 on a video card.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Of course Gateway would want to sell you the expensive card! :rolleyes:

$400!?! What a rip or retard of Gateway!

I reecommend the link for the LOW end Nvidia cards 6200 or 7300, but keep this in mind:

1 - Get a card WITHOUT A FAN, strickly a heatsink (no failures, no noise)
2 - Get a card WITHOT Turbocache. I admit that I am not sure how this works in the real world (anyone have a link) - The concept I understand - but not when it does it. But TurboCache cards will use your system RAM for video ram , which is why they are cheap.
(ie: 128mb actual ram, 256 total usable) but if you're not playing games - perhaps it doesn't touch the system RAM.

This card is will do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121193

And its only $36. With use of a video card like this, it may or MAYNOT disable the onboard video - check your BIOS settings when you first turn your PC on. Look for something that says VIDEO (enable/disable).

Stick with Nvidia type cards so you can use the drives currently installed.

Compiler said:
$400!?! What a rip or retard of Gateway!

I reecommend the link for the LOW end Nvidia cards 6200 or 7300, but keep this in mind:

1 - Get a card WITHOUT A FAN, strickly a heatsink (no failures, no noise)
2 - Get a card WITHOT Turbocache. I admit that I am not sure how this works in the real world (anyone have a link) - The concept I understand - but not when it does it. But TurboCache cards will use your system RAM for video ram , which is why they are cheap.
(ie: 128mb actual ram, 256 total usable) but if you're not playing games - perhaps it doesn't touch the system RAM.

This card is will do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121193

And its only $36. With use of a video card like this, it may or MAYNOT disable the onboard video - check your BIOS settings when you first turn your PC on. Look for something that says VIDEO (enable/disable).

Stick with Nvidia type cards so you can use the drives currently installed.

For the card in your link - the TC at the end of 6200TC stands for "Turbo Cache" and yes you are correct..Turbo Cache uses system RAM instead of having onboard RAM. The card you linked has 64MB of onboard RAM and can use a total of up to 256MB, thats 192MB of system RAM plus the 64MB on the card itself.

Here is Nvidia's discription of Turbo Cache

Just for reference...ATI Radeon Hyper Memory is the same concept...........

There should really not be any problems getting a card that has a fan.....

For what you plan on using your PC for, a card with Turbo Cache or Hyper memory shouldn't be a problem......If you do get a card with Turbo Cache, I would suggest getting a card that has 128MB of onboard RAM instead of 64MB that way it has more head-room before it has to start usurping system RAM. But if you can find a card you like that doesn't use Turbo Cache I would go with that.

just my 2 cents.

The poster says he does not play games... Desktop display only needs 16mb for high-res 24bit output. 64mb onboard is more than enough.

Still doesn't say if TC always uses system RAM all the time or part-time.

Yes, on many sub $200 video cards, the fans are cheap and fail. They tend to be noisy - but you can't tell unless you pour over reviews. Getting a fanless GPU means 0% of failure, 0db noise.

This card, 7300GT is for sure, not TC and is fanless ($89):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125036

Because the poster may not be able to disable onboard video (depending on bios) the Nvidia card is recommended and will do the job nicely.

TO the POSTER (MPeg3) use the DVI output for better video output quality. IT IS noticable on 17" and larger screens.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online