1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mixed OS network Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WMRawls, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WMRawls

WMRawls Thread Starter

I have a uniqu network question for the GURU's here. I have a 3 PC network with all the machines running XP Pro and one machine is the Internet gateway and basicly everything runs great. I have an older machine running Win98SE in my workshop that I connected to my main work shop machine which is, of course an XP Pro machine. I used a cross over cable to hook the 98SE and XP machine up with the intent of turning the older machine into a unit that I have multiple CD Rom's in and can access from my home network machines. It was a piece of cake to get the two machines to talk but I cannot access the rest of the network from the 98SE nor can any but the computer that is connected through the crossover cable see the 98 SE machine. This is really not a hot issue but i hate to leave a piece of equipment laying around doing nothing.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Spend $15 and buy a cheap hub, lose the cross-over cable. All the computers will be talking after that, or at least they'll have the potential. :)

3. jpoff

jpoff

I am assuming the XP pro machine has 2 nics, if this is a correct assumption, then simply running the Internet connection sharing wizard on your xp machine, then running it on your 98 client machine should open the entire network up to you.
    Here is some additional help
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306126

4. WMRawls

WMRawls Thread Starter

I had run ICS on the WIN98SE machine. That action is what led to the request for help. The suggestion about a cheep hub may be the solution since I think I amy have an old one in my parts bin. I will give that a shot.
    Thanks

5. jpoff

jpoff

Your problem is not on the 98se machine, its with the XP machine. You need to run the ICS wizard here, not on 98se. You should simply set the 98se machine to obtain its ip address automatically.
    Of course, you will need to share the cd drives on the 98 machine as well.

6. WMRawls

WMRawls Thread Starter

I was aware that the ICS needed to be run on the XP machine and had done that first off, however if you are using a mixed OS network you do have to run the XP set up on all machines. Which I had done. Bottom line is that once I set up the hub that I had the network recognized the Win98 SE machine just fine. I still wonder why the crossover cable did not work. however problem is solved and thanks for the help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice