1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mixing Ethernet and wireless.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tony Beckett, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tony Beckett

Tony Beckett Thread Starter

My ISP has supplied a Thompson Gateway router with wireless and 4 Ethernet ports. I connect to the internet from my desktop machine (Windows XP) via Ethernet.

My new Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile V6555 (Windows XP Professional) connects to the internet via wireless. I swapped to using Ethernet for a couple of days but when I wanted to use wireless again I failed. I tried lots of things but eventually did a “restore” to a date prior to the use of Ethernet and all was well again. I experimented and can now swap between the two PROVIDED I disable the wireless connection before plugging in the Ethernet cable.

I can understand the Fujitsu not being able to use both systems at the same time but was surprised that having them both connected should then disable the wireless connection requiring a “restore” to get it back. I contacted Fujitsu and got the following response:-

“You should always be aware of whether you are connected to the wired or wireless network, and use only one network connection at a time. Your laptop can also be connected to both networks simultaneously, which can cause network instability, slow connectivity or confusing the OS!”

I would like to occasionally “network” the Fujitsu to the desktop machine using a spare Ethernet port on the router. This would only be used for basic exchange of files, no sharing of printers or scanners, or opening a file from one machine in an application running on the other, just very basic file exchange.

After my initial experience and the warning from Fujitsu I am wary of following any of the instructions about networking provided by Windows help and would welcome suggestions of what to do in a situation that involves internet connection as well as basic Ethernet use.

Tony

2. Sponsor

3. Wino

Wino

Don't know anything about Fujitsu, but looking at the specs of the V6555 LAN & WLAN doesn't look any different than any other I've seen. Not sure why you are having problems running both similtaneously as I do it all the time with no problems - never bother turning wireless or wired off. Both run just fine and when I unplug or plug the machine jumps on the fastest connection. I've never experienced 'network instability' (at least not related to this situation) and my XP or WIN 7 choose whichever connection is fastest with no confusion. I have two towers (self-built) and two laptops (Lenovo & Gateway) I run this way, one (XP) almost all day and never a problem. Maybe someone else can shed some light, but Fujitsu's response sounds phony to me based on my actual experience.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes there are file sharing difficulties if there are two possible paths between the computers (e.g., if a computer is connected to the router twice). Otherwise it shouldn't matter whether you are connected by wireless or ethernet or both.

5. Tony Beckett

Thanks both of you for setting my mind at rest, although a bit worrying that the Fujitsu response was regarded as “doubtful”!

I will go ahead and try to set up a basic file exchange network, (last but one paragraph of original posting). There is lots of help offered on the web, but none of it I spotted mentions Internet connection as well as between two computers. Can either of you suggest the best set of instructions for my requirements – or would it be OK to just follow the MS “Network Setup Wizard” ?

Tony

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista or 7.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

7. Tony Beckett

Thanks for the instructions. I will let you know how I get on; will be a couple of days yet though...

Tony

8. Wino

Wino

Been awhile since I've used the XP Network Wizard, but if I recall correctly the first page of options has 3 or so and it's best to select OTHER and go to next page and select that "each computer is to connect directly to the router independent of each other" (or words to that effect). This choice, either machine can connect when the other is off. On the wireless, you should have the ISP router's encryption (usually WPA) and you will need this entered into your wireless when it ask after locating your network - also be sure MAC address blocking is not turned on in the router (or if it is enter the MAC address for the wireless laptop) and you should be off and running. MAC address or encryption does not apply to the wired, just the wireless.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/945292