1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mixing rams and their bios settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faiz, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Greetings !

My config
    win xp 32 bit ( going to upgrade to win7 )
    c2d 6750
    gigabyte ep 45 ud3l

ram 1x1gb transcend jetram 800mhz pc 6400
    Serial No JM800QLJ-IG

ram 1x1 gb corsair XMS2 800 mhz pc 6400
    Serial No CM2X1024-6400 G

I have installed the rams in their respective colored slots and they are working ok.

My questions are
    1. The timings or voltage seem to be different !Are there any bios settings that I have to do, in order for stability or better performance( not overclock) ?

2.Even with the 3.25 gb limitation are the modules functioning as dual channel ?

I know I should have stuck to one particular brand but the transcend were already present and I was getting a deal with the corsair.

rgds

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your post is not clear. Do you have 2 ram chips now [one corsair and one transcend] or do you have four ram chips [2 of each]

The corsair ram usually runs a higher vdimm [ram voltage] Here is what I would do. Install the corsair ram into the first slot on your mb usually called slot 1 or sometimes slot 0. Leave your ram settings on AUTO or spd; each board is a little different however you want the board to configure the ram. This will set the slightly higher ram voltage for you. Even though the transcend ram does not need the higher voltage, most stock ram can go to 1.9~2.0V without problems.

As to running dual channel, what does the post data show during post? It should say dual or single channel. Sometimes this is ganged or unganged mode again every board and every bios is a little different in how it presents data.

Once you get the ram configured, I would run memtest for at least an hour or so to make sure you do not have any errors.

3. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Sorry for the misinfo....

There is a total of 4 gb 1+1+1+1
    Corsair is in slot 1 and 3 , and the Transcend module is in 2 and 4.

Could you elaborate on this pls
    i checked up the post and it says Memory runs at dual channel interleaved

i also saw my bios which had the following :
    System memory multiplier (spd) - Auto
    Memory frequency -800mhz
    Dram timing schedule -Auto
    Cas latency 5 Auto
    trcd 5 Auto
    trp 5 Auto
    tras 18 Auto
    dram voltage 1.800V Auto

I don't understand a word if you could please explain if all is ok.
    Does the higher ram voltage make a difference or is it negligible.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is running OK now, then just leave it alone. I would run memtest for at least 1hr or so to make sure there are no errors.

5. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

You are satisfied with the bios settings ! Then it is ok by me....

I'll get back to you after the memtest report

6. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi !

Will there be any issue running the corsair ram at 1.8v when the specifications say 1.9v.
    The transcend runs at 1.8v so the corsair too is running at the same.

Hey crjdriver now is a better time than never, could you please explain about the memory timings and voltages, always keen to learn.
    If you're too busy or something you could point me to some simple website.
    Is it allright to up the voltage, no physical issues i hope , is there more stability or performance by increasing the voltage?

rgds

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before upping vdimm [ram voltage] I would test with memtest. If it runs memtest OK for at least 1hr without errors, you do not need to up vdimm. As I posted standard ram should not be harmed by running @1.9V however if there is no need, then leave it alone at stock voltage.

Basically the ram timings are controlling the amount of time in cycles between sending a command and the time to act on it. Lower is better. With some ram it is rated at one level at stock voltage and another at higher voltage. You will see this when it gives a range of voltage ie 1.8~2.0V. Often it would be something like 9-9-9-20 @1.8V and 7-7-7-18 @2,0V.

Since you have mixed ram, I would NOT be setting timings manually; just let the bios set the timings for you. This is done when it is set to AUTO or spd.

That should now be as clear as mud :)
    It really does make sense after you think about it for a while.

8. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Yes that did make it clearer (y)

Not being able to get time for a memtest, come back pretty late from work and then the family.
    Will certainly do it this weekend. Any tips on using memtest, I will be going the usb thumb drive way. Do i select all the default tests or does it do ,all that by itself ?

rgds

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have always used the bootable CD and that just runs on its own. I would assume the flash drive method does the same; you would need to make the usb drive a boot option in the bios.

10. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Since we're at it, could you please guide me to other bios settings for stability and better functionality.
    I'm not looking for overclocking. Since i would be working on the comp during the weekend thought I could tweak other settings in my bios as well.

My motherboard is http://www.gigabyte.in/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3285

Thanks a ton.

ps : I'll do the bootable cd method memtest , useful for future needs as well

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I think you are worrying too much. As long as memtest runs for an hour or so without errors and the system runs OK, then you are fine.

Unless you are overclocking or have a specific reason to change a setting, all modern mb are best left on AUTO settings.

12. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi crjdriver !

Successfully completed the memtest, I have uploaded the image.

I was referring to the other bios settings not the ram settings in the bios, hope you can assist me there !

I am uploading the images of my bios, please check it out.

If I should open a new thread please let me know.

Attached Files:

• memtest.JPG
      memtest.JPG
      File size:
      184.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      118.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      132.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      129.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      107.8 KB
      Views:
  13. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Some more images, could not upload more than 5 in the previous post.

rgds

Attached Files:

• 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      102.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      164 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      134.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      122.4 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      129 KB
      Views:
  14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you attempting to overclock the cpu/ram or do you intend to run at stock settings?

15. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi !

I prefer to keep it at stock settings. Overclock ! though its quiet tempting to do so ;)

I don't have an after market cooler for the cpu and using the stock heatsink/fan.

We were discussing about ram initially and the memtest was ok... Do you have any recommendations ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!