1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mixing SATA with IDE hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by belveder, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. belveder

belveder Thread Starter

I am running two SATA hard drives (not in RAID) and have a spare IDE hard drive sitting around, was thinking of using it but I am unsure if it will affect the speed or anything of the SATA drives?

My computer needs a format so would it be better when I format to install the OS on the IDE or the SATA?

Any advice will be appreciated

2. AvvY

AvvY

You can easily mix ATA (IDE) and SATA hdd's.

It would be best to have the OS installed on the SATA as it is the faster HDD.

I currently have my OS on an 80GB ATA(IDE) and my storage on a SATA, but that's for my own reasoning. Best to make the most ofthe speed of the SATA drive. Just make sure when installing Windows that you WILL need to have the motherboards sata drivers on a floppy disc.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It won't affect the speed at all. I have a SATA RAID-0 array, and a couple of IDE drives in drive drawers on this system.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most of the time this is true, however if you have a board with an intel sata controller, then no driver is necessary. XP has native drivers for intel sata controllers; all others via, nvidia, sil, highpoint, etc must have a driver loaded.

One thing I have done [since I build mostly with nvidia boards or highpoint controllers] is to make install disks with the sata or raid drivers already integrated in the disk. This saves time and no floppy drive needs to be installed in the system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/422821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice