MKV to MP4 Converter?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bradley27

So i have a few files in MKV format that i would like to convert to MP4

The MKV file sizes range from 4.00gb, 2.45gb to 308mb

Only thing is i have issues where my PC reboots midway through conversions like its run out of memory or something OR the sound lags behind the picture on playback after conversion.

I just want to find a freeware piece of reliable software that can do this job for me.....any suggestions please?

I use Handbreak (freeware). It can convert other types of files as well but the only option to "convert to" are mkv or mp4. The fact that your PC is rebooting during conversion may be the result of the application your using and not memory. If you post your specs using the TGS system information utility it could be helpful. And let us know what app your converting with.
https://forums.techguy.org/help/links/
You might also consider downloading the free info app MediaInfo it can show you things about your file that can be helpful setting up Handbreak to get the correct sized conversion (video bitrate to set in Average Bitrate to keep the sizes similar). I actually prefer the older version of Handbreak 0.10.5.0 over the new one but if your using Win 10 your probably better off with the latest. If you are using Win 10 be aware it's still buggy.

bradley27

So for some years i used Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate, it was pretty good but on bigger files it had a tendency to cause the PC to crash as i mentioned and also had moments where audio and picture were not synced. So i removed that and then found a freeware Video Converter program which did the same thing....

bradley27

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 7886 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (307 GB Free); F: 931 GB (595 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8Z77-V LX
Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

If both applications caused the same type of crashing it's unlikely a software issue unless one of them left data behind when uninstalled that keeps the same thing happening. A few things that can cause issues are too many installed codec packages and incorrect driver update for the motherboard (or even corruption of the correct driver) and possible a system crash that is causing issues. To check the latter you can go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and right click the command prompt link and select "run as administrator" In the command prompt window type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the switch /scannow). If it finds nothing or it does but doesn't correct the issue you should consider reinstalling the motherboard drivers or updating them from the Asus website for your model motherboard. If the system is OEM (like a Dell etc.) check there for your updated drivers.

bradley27

So just before you sent that message i tried converting one file with Handbreak.....and about half way through i got the usual Blue Screen of Death reboot

bradley27

And to further update it has finished and produced a text doc with a huge list of PC chat...I see stuff at the bottom saying repairs made successfully...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online