1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MMC Disk Device Error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by smoog, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoog

smoog Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is really a hardware or drivers problem but I'm hoping that somebody can help.

System Specs:

Make: Dell
    Model: Inspiron 1525 (laptop)
    Proc: Intel Core2 Duo T5750 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
    Memory: 3.00 GB RAM

Over the last week or so, I keep getting a pop-up in my system tray (coupled with a VERY annoying sound) for the "safely remove hardware" icon that comes and goes very quickly. When I manage to catch it it shows no disk/drive attached or needing to be stopped. If you try and catch it through the Device Manager it labels it "Disk Drive" or "MMC Disk Device". I have tried disabling the unknown device, as well as uninstalling it. Neither solves the problem and when uninstalled, it takes the liberty of reinstalling the driver again. Windows tells me that all of the drivers are functioning properly and up to date. Any guesses as to what is causing this? I have used a thumbdrive before on the laptop with no problems. The only other USB device I periodically attach is a Toshiba External SATA HD. This problem persists even if the External HD is attached.

2. smoog

smoog Thread Starter

Ok, so small update. Maybe will help someone else dealing with this same problem, or help one of you brainy tech guys find the "root" of the problem.

I did some googling on different terms related to this "Safely Remove Device" pop-up of eternnal damnation issue and it appears the problem is related to the SD/MMC card reader slot. I put a card into the slot (I haven't used the slot in over 6 months so it's nothing I did... the problem is recent) and now Vista isn't constantly providing me with the SRD pop-up. Only catch is I have to leave a card in there. Any thoughts? Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!