1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mmc snap ins

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by PK-her0, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

do you guys really use mmc and setup custom consoles etc?

2. AQ78

AQ78

I work for a MS gold partner in the uk. I find that admins who work on the same servers daily DO create these and use them, as i work on a different system daily..do not.

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

is there anyway of creating a portable type mmc to carry around with your particular tools?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If you have an MMC you can take it to any machine as long as that machine has the same utilities that hook into it installed. Think of the MMC as a console/portal that allows you access to all the sub programs. I for 1 love using my MMC to house ALL my tasks... E.G. Remote Desktop I have it seperated based on the type of servers so I have a list for file servers/a list for DCs/A list for our internet proxy servers/A list for our Antivirus servers and so on. I also have each domain seperated and have an ADUC instance as well as a GPO setting for each one.

The only thing is if I send my MMC to anyone I have to send them a list of all the things I have installed so they can have the tools on there to use the MMC. E.G. Admin Pack, GPMC with service pack, SSC and so on.

5. funguy123us

funguy123us

I use to to customize so that I have the tools i need on single console. I don't use it a lot but I use it for AD user/computer management, GPO management etc..

6. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

MMC = ?
    That's a new one for me. Doesn't happen too often!

7. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

MMC = Microsoft Management Console

All "admin" tools on Server 2003 and higher use the MMC as a basis, but you can create custom MMCs to open ADUC, DCHP, DNS, GMPC, etc. all in one window.

8. Colossus610

Colossus610

heck yeah.
    I manage a couple dozen or so client networks and do this religiously when dealing with multiple servers. It's nice to have all of your servers' Event Logs accessible in one place.
    Also, when you're running WSUS, DHCP, DNS, IIS etc load balanced or whatever on two or more servers, it does come in handy.
    Work hard or work smart.

9. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Ah. I'm very familiar with mgmt console, but just never heard it called "MMC" before.
    (Sigh, yet another tech acronym.)

Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice