1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MMORPG Development

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by johnnyburst79, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnyburst79

johnnyburst79 Thread Starter

I have a great idea for a game (and consulted one of the company developers for legitimacy purposes) and there is currently nothing on the market which caters to this genre, from what I have found, and I have been searching for quite a bit.

I am certainly keen on getting this built, as I feel it is both educational and enjoyable, but more enjoyable so people don't realize they are learning.

Does anyone know how much an MMORPG costs to develop from scratch? Are there companies out there who have the infrastructure in place to support development of MMORPG's (such as the companies who own WoW or Second Life)? Do MMORPG companies bring in outside contractors to develop new ideas, or buy ideas off individuals?

I can't elaborate upon really any details of the game as it would require an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). I have been screwed out of inventions before (which have gone to market and been successful) and it will certainly not happen with this one.

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi johnnyburst79,

I have no idea of the cost to develop a software like WoW. Just reading the names of all the people which appear in the credits of a software may give a vague idea. It certainly gives vertigo ! And you may add the cost of all the infracture of servers that will be needed to have a lot of players online.
    BTW, I wish you find the right people to advise and to help building your project.

;)

3. johnnyburst79

Thanks, Chicon. I found a couple places that do RPG consulting, I am going to talk with them.

A quick google search puts development cost at about $10 million for a new game....damn...

4. Chicon

Chicon

Damn, indeed !

5. GCDude

GCDude

If you google "open source MMORPG" Theres a few open source ones that might be worth considering, such as OGRE, Realmforge, Worldforge.

6. Gibble

Gibble

Uh...RPG as in game programming or RPG consulting as in Report Progam Generator, which is a business programming language?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG_programming_language

7. ferrija1

ferrija1

8. Gibble

Gibble

9. ferrija1

ferrija1

Oh, ok. :eek:

10. johnnyburst79

Thanks Gibble, but yes, I know what I was looking for ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice