1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MN-500 Suddenly Stopped working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by heavyhitter, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heavyhitter

heavyhitter Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been using the Microsoft Wireless Broadband router (MN-500) to connect to the internet. This afternoon, while I was away, the wireless connection was suddenly lost. The internet is fine, because when i plug my computer directly into the router (via ethernet), i am able to access the internet. However, the router does not seem to broadcast a wireless signal for the LAN.

I've reset the router, both manually and via the software and reconfigured the network. After this process, the Wireless Network sometimes appears momentarily in Windows...but the connection drops before it can connect.

All the lights on the router light up as normal and it indicates that both the wireless LAN and the WAN are working properly. I have no idea why I can't connect to the network wirelessly though...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... the Wireless Network sometimes appears momentarily in Windows...but the connection drops before it can connect."

Please explain. Does the signal disappear? Or do you get connected and then quickly disconnected but the signal can still be seen. If the former, you need a new router or new wireless adapter.

3. heavyhitter

Yeah, I lose the whole signal...That is the network is no longer available to choose from. Sometimes I can connect to it for a few minutes. Then the signal will drop and there are no networks available.

I guess there's no way to fix the router?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you determined that the problem is the router and not the wireless adapter?

For the router you could try resetting to factory default settings and then configure as necessary. Sometimes this "refreshes" balky routers.

5. heavyhitter

I have a desktop and a laptop...and the same problem happens on both of them. Until today, both had been running fine and I hadn't changed anything recently on either computer or the router. So i'm pretty sure its the router itself.

As far as the router, I unplugged it for awhile. That didn't help. Then I reset it once using the button in the back. That didn't help either. I tried resetting it by logging into the router. Also didn't help. Finally i tried updating the firmware, but it was already up to date.

Over the past few hours...the signal seems to be Full strength for a few minutes then drops out to nothing for 5 minutes.

Thanks for your help!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Couldn't tell from your post whether you've tried resetting the router to factory default settings yet. You need to hold the reset button for 10 or 20 seconds to do that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice