1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mobile Wi-fi Hotspot recommendations...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gazsharpe101, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gazsharpe101

gazsharpe101 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a mobile wi-fi hotspot for when we go away for the odd weekend and the mobile signal is a bit hit-and-miss.

It only has to be 3G really although I might go for 4G if the price is right.

I only want it on PAYG rather than a monthly contract as it won't be used often enough, to the point where I want one that any top-up lasts for 90 days rather than just 30.

I have researched and found that the Vodafone R207 last for 90 days when you top-up but I think the EE and O2 ones come with 90 days data pre-loaded but then when you top-up it only lasts for 30 days, which would be a waste of money and data.

Thanks.
    Gareth.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Dedicated mobile hotspot devices need SIM cards just like a mobile phones and the SIM card it uses will be tied to a specific carrier/provider. If both your mobile phone SIM and the hotspot device SIM belong to the same carrier you will get the same hit/miss signal. If you plan on using a different provider than what you are using for your mobile phone you should check coverage maps to determine which provider has the best coverage in the areas you visit most often. There will always be areas where one carriers signal is stronger than the others and vice versa. I would look for a mobile hotspot device that is not locked and tied to a specific carrier so that you can try out different providers simply by swapping the prepaid SIM. I believe the device you mentioned in your previous post can only be used on the Vodaphone network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice