1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MOBO and CPU Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fatbobthefirst, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst Thread Starter

I have a computer that the MOBO and CPU were fried.
    I am looking for a new MOBO and CPU.
    Cheap but good to work with what I have.

Here is what the comptuer was.
    It was a Compaq Presario S3000Z Product# P8654X
    It was a AMD 2000, It had 512 Ram DDR 266 2.5CL
    It had onboard video and Sound.
    It had 3pci and one agp slots.
    2 of the Pci slots are used by a Modem and a IEE 1394 Card
    And it looks like a 250W Bestec powersupply.

I am looking for a MOBO and CPU that would work and fit in here.
    Here is one I found.
    http://www.ascendtech.us/Customkititems.asp?kc=DTMBM863GWX3100
    and here is another.
    http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?cPath=145&products_id=5039
    Would these work?
    Or what would you suggest

2. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

does the motherboard have removable screws in order to take the motherboard out of the case? if it doesnt the case will be a grave for the motherboard till the end of time. the reason i ask is because i had a similar problem with an HP computer i once had. however the motherboard was held by rivets which are designed to only be removed at a compaq repair center.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Compaqs use proprietary mb and case. You cannot just buy a standard atx board and install it in a compaq case. You will need to purchase a case / power supply as well. The only items you can use from the compaq would be hd, optical drive [CDROM] floppy drive, keyboard and mouse. The rest you will need to replace. Note you may or may not be able to use the memory. It depends on what mb / cpu you select.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should add that you will need to buy an operating system as well. You cannot install your recovery cds on a new system.

1 It is illegal
    2 It almost never works.

5. fatbobthefirst

I believe but will have to look to see if the screws hold the MOBO down.
    If they do. Then a ATX Mobo should work fine right? All should be the same if this is the case.
    Then I just have to find and make sure I get a MOBO that would work like the Links I put above???

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. Again compaqs are proprietary. They use different case / mb than a standard atx. If you try putting a standard atx board in a compaq, case you will find that nothing will line up.

7. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

if i were you i would just buy a new case. they are not expensive.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Basically most of the big box mfg like dell, compaq, hp, etc their systems are not really made to be upgraded. You can do minor things like install more memory or maybe a second hd.

If you want to upgrade the mb, you must buy it from the mfg. You cannot use a standard atx board. So when a big box system needs a real upgrade, you just throw it away and buy a new one. The new system will cost about the same as buying a new board from compaq.

I listed the items you can use from your old system in post #3. Everything else will need to be replaced.

9. fatbobthefirst

Thanks...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice