1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mobo and PSU suggestions for Conroe E6600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vookster82, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Hi, i plan on building my first rig based around the Conroe E6600...maybe just the E6400 or E6300.
    I'm not much of a gamer but like to play when i get time. :D
    Ill probably attempt to over clock a little, but not much...ill stick with the stock intel cooler.

Basically im looking for suggestions on the motherboard and PSU that will work together with no issues.

Im looking at either the ASUS P5B or the ASUS P5B Deluxe w/o wifi.
    and the Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply.
    But there where reports with issues on the power supply not working with the asus boards.
    And now im kinda confused on the mobo / psu combo to pick. :confused:

P5B
    P5B deluxe
    Antec PSU

Here is my newegg public wishlist of the system i intend on buildiing if it helps.

If someone has a rig running one of the Conroe core 2 duo's and you want to let me know what mobo and psu you used and liked...that would be awesome also. (y)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, if you need more info let me know...im new to building rigs, but aint exaclty hardware illiterate....just a cautious newb :eek:

Thanks for reading.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Good choices!

The P5B is an excellent board. The deluxe just has more features like dual gigabit LAN and onboard wi-fi. If you want those items, get the deluxe.

Toss the Artic Silver, the C2D HSF comes with some compound on it already.
    If you aren't overclocking, the stock HSF works just fine.

Good PSU. Very capable of powering your system and well known for reliability. I don't generally trust those reviews, but if you're inclined to believe them, then check out Corsair, OCZ, FSP, PC Power & Cooling for other well made PSU's. I've seen several systems with Antec PSU's on P5B boards, never heard of this problem until I saw these reviews. I can't confirm or deny the reports...

Now, the only suggestion I could make is look at Intel boards. Intel on Intel is always a good choice. Make sure you take the time to look and compare. Otherwise, not a thing wrong with what you have going there!

3. vookster82

Aww, no artic silver...:rolleyes: TY for the input and response

Yeah, i dont take the reviews to heart, but i do go through most of them on any product that i buy. Especially if its over $30, and i look for the one's that are based after owning the product for more than a month.

Intel to intel huh, if i do that ill never be able to overclock the CPU right?
    My first instinct was to go intel with intel....but then i heard about the overclocking lockout. :confused: I figure if im gonna spend the money on the C2D, i might as well overclock a little bit since they are awesome overclockers using stock CPU fan.

Ill have to look again..and again...and again...
    So far ive spent like 36 hours researching for this rig...that will take me 4 hours to build. :eek:

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Yes, Intel's are clock locked. There is debate about all of that, but I can't see any reason to overclock an E6600. The performance is already top notch.

Don't forget the first rule of overclocking: Don't overclock what you can't afford to lose.

If you use the stock HSF, I wouldn't overclock it at all. I'd invest in a really nice one.

5. kaaos

kaaos

6. vookster82

LOL, "Don't overclock what you can't afford to lose" nicely said.

Ive seen a ton of reviews on people overclocking with the stock HSF.
    Granted not much of an overclock with the stock HSF, but i wouldnt be overclocking anything for atleast a month after my build was complete and ran without issues.

Since it is my first build and all, i figure ill be tinkering away enough and probably run into my fair share of issues right from the get go. :eek:
    So the OC is something i want to buy for in a Mobo, but dont intend on using right away.

Right now Im leaning towards to ASUS p5b deluxe and the PSU mentioned in post 1

Too much reading...i think i think that i think im over thinking the thinking in all this. :D

7. vookster82

LOL kaaos, i was looking at that site last night after i did my google for "custom pc" in anger.

I was leaning towards them for the price...and the warranty....
    but ive been dying to build my own PC :rolleyes:

But i didnt like thier cases...im set on the one i picked out at newegg. It's nothing special, but i like the metal grateing.
    Thats one thing that ill kick and scream over like a lil girl...why i dunno...i just want that one.
    I think im just sick of going back and fourth between parts for this darn pc and it changing the rest of my parts.

Cooler Master Case

8. kaaos

kaaos

my 2 buddys just custom built theirs (spent more than me for less over all PC e6400) and they are constantly having issues one guy has had 2 bad MOBOs and the other guy has issues with his video card. i have built in the past and was planning on building around the E6400 but for the price of that E6600 with all the extra bells and whistles i could not pass it up.

you could always swap out the case and sell the other one...lol

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

You can overclock with the stock HSF, just keep to a minimum.

The point I'm trying to make is you don't want to use a system like this to learn how to overclock. What I did was bought a bunch of old used junk from ebay and practiced on those. I DID manage to torch an Athlon XP doing it too! I got lots of practice building, troubleshooting, overclocking and BIOS manipulation. It was fun.

10. vookster82

kaaos, did you already get the rig from? how long you had it if so?
    any problems etc?

Thats the only reason i always stayed away from building my own rig was the issues to deal with. :eek:
    (and no one to point the finger at or turn to)

telegramsam- i read ya loud and clear good buddy. The more i read into it and the more i think about it logically while im away from the computer...i think i just got gungho on overclocking when i seen the results with C2D.

I need time off :eek:

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

I'm not saying you aren't capable of it, or that you will necessarily destroy your machine doing it.

I'm just saying that a prerequisite to overclocking is a thorough understanding of system bus and voltage and timings and clock multipliers before you even attempt it.

Intel processors have an overheat shutdown anyway, but the risk is still there.

And don't be discouraged from building yourself either. I'm typing this on a C2D machine I built 6 months ago and I haven't had a single problem. Using QUALITY parts, like you're doing, makes most of the 'issues' people talk about go away. You build with ECS or PC Chips, expect issues. If you're ready to build, and WANT to build, you picked the right components to do it with.

12. vookster82

Thanks for the encouragment, and the slap on the back of head about overclocking.
    You may not have had that intention, but honestly thats the way i took it and its something i really needed before i delve into the BYOPC darkside. (y)

Like i said, i just got all giddy and anxious when i seen the C2D OC results. :p

But i knew something was a rye when i have to spend 8x plus the ammount of time researching something before i actually commit to it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure i wouldnt have much of a problem OC'ing, but in all reality i dont have that much free time to tinker as i used to..let alone troubleshoot.

Im waiting to see if a buddy of a buddy can get a good deal on most of the parts i need at frys.com. He works at the retail store.....that place is amazing inside...the service is crap...the store...pheeeww. I usually know what im looking for anyways and know more about electronics without any classroom edumacation than probably 80% of the people there. Simply tinkernology as i like to call it with a little bit of reading. :rolleyes:

Time will tell

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

Hope I actually helped you!! I don't mean to say DONT OVERCLOCK, YOU'LL DIE IF YOU DO!!

Going back to your first list of things, anyway, I'm confident that you know what you want, you selected nothing but quality parts, the best in current technology...You'll do very well building yourself.

Use your computer for a while, do some reading on the net about overclocking and experiment with it a little.

14. kaaos

kaaos

i just placed the order this monday so i wint get it until the about the 23rd of this month. its going to be a long 2 weeks....uuuhhhhggghh:( :(

15. vookster82

Seriously though, you gave me the mental slap that i needed. I was stuck on this overclocking the E6600 brainfart for 3 long nights. Then i began putting together my PC at newegg, and went back and fourth with the parts for about 2 nights. Then i told myself, "just put in a post in TSG before you do something stupid...this one's gonna cost you big". So I posted :D

Not that it would have been stupid or wouldnt be able, but as with anything else....the little tap on the shoulder can bring in a much needed new line of sight. :rolleyes:

Im going with what i got at the newegg wishlist i posted...but, changed the mobo to the P5B deluxe and dropped down to the C2D E6400. I dont need cutting edge anyways. ;)

Kaaos, post up when you get her all setup...im really anxios to hear about it :eek:

What setup did you end up going with if you dont mind me asking?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice