1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MOBO/BIOS issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by i hate ram, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. i hate ram

i hate ram Thread Starter

OK. I have an pretty old computer that ive fixed up, so to speak. I bought a new hard drive, and its all plugged in, and it works fine. my only problem is that this computer's BIOS says that it IS bootable by cd, but in reality it isnt. Also, im trying to set up an OS on this new drive, and cant get anything to install. Ive tried using boot floppies w/ cd-rom support to boot the OS installer, but when my BIOS gets to the "Please insert bootable media into the appropriate drive" prompt, whether or not there is a floppy/cd-rom in any drive, the computer shuts down after about 3 seconds after pressing <enter>. Ive tried removing the MOBO battery, RAM, all IDE cables and replacing them, but still nothing. I also wish to mention that my floppy LED light is ALWAYS on, and when i try to flip over the cable, the computer doesnt detect it. When i put floppies in, it doesnt even try to read them. Could it be a floppy drive problem causing all of this? I have extra floppy drives to spare....

thanks for the input

IHR

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yep, try a different floppy drive. Throw in a new floppy cable too.

If the floppy drive was working properly and you had a good boot disk in there, then it should just start loading from the floppy automatically.

3. i hate ram

hmm... i tried a different floppy drive, but same thing. I think the other floppy i tried is broken, because a pin in the IDE connector is missing. The floppy drive worked before... i tried flipping the cable on both ends... idn... nothing. even w/o a floppy, when my computer prompts me for a bootable media, it still shuts down after 2 seconds from pressing enter.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmm...maybe a new cmos battery? Maybe the BIOS is corrupt? Is there a jumper to reset it the BIOS?

5. i hate ram

cmos battery? is that the little watch battery thing in my mobo? what is a bios jumper? i bought this computer off of someone with nothing but the computer, so i have nothing. i tried removing the battery temporarily too see if it would reset my bios?

6. i hate ram

btw, the "cmos battery" if it is what i think it is, looks pretty old...

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yes, the cmos battery is the little watch battery looking thing on the motherboard. If the computer is several years old then the battery may be low or dead. I'd try replacing that first since it's relatively cheap.

** Unplug the computer first before you go to take the battery out. **

What you want to do is take the battery out for a period of time. (opinion differs on how long..I like 30min) This should reset the BIOS settings to default.

On most motherboards, there is also a jumper that will allow you to reset the BIOS settings. You'll have to check the motherboard manual or manufacturer's website for the location.

8. i hate ram

hmm... what would this jumper look like.... im not sure of the manufacturer of my mobo, all ive seen (i havent looked) is that its a pentium mobo.... ill look now.

9. i hate ram

ok, i looked but found no indication of a mobo model #.... would changing out the battery most likely help?

10. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Take a look in the BIOS to be sure that the floppy drive is listed correctly, ie: 1.44MB (3.5 inch) and not 1.2MB (5.25 in.) and that it is the "A" drive. Also be sure that the boot order has the floppy drive first.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

11. i hate ram

ive previously checked all of this... all are correct

12. i hate ram

my question is what exactly does the CMOS battery do? I know it powers the mobo, but (if it is causing the problem) what exactly is happening if the battery is low or dying?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It doesn't power the motherboard, what it does is allow the motherboard to store settings. These settings include time and date, drive settings, actually every setting in the BIOS that you see. Without it any changes you make in the BIOS will be lost as soon as the computer is turned off. A bad battery also can cause instabilites, not to mention none of your settings will be reatained.

As for the bootable CD; if you have a Windows 98 or newer CD then the computer should be able to start from it; no need for a floppy. However the CD-ROM must be connected correctly and configured in the BIOS - ie detected (not set to none) and be in the boot sequence.

14. i hate ram

ok.... i tried replacing the CMOS battery, it works, all BIOS settings were reset, and STILL the frrrrrrreaking thing shuts off AFTER PRESSING ENTER. all other buttons are fine to press and it doesnt shut off, and not touching anything, it will stay on. the floppy light STILL stays on.... its a good floppy drive and a good cable... i dont know what is wrong with them!!!!! AGHHHHHH! :mad:

im about to blow this thing up :mad:

15. i hate ram

does anyone know whats wrong with this thing?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice