1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mobo BIOS problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by garypoet, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garypoet

garypoet Thread Starter

Hi, i've set up a used QDI (P6V693A) A5-133 MainBoard with a P3 600EB (133Mhz). I plugged in the RAM, hard drive (with XP) and floppy and the message comes up 'new CPU - enter BIOS to set it up'...

But ANY changes I make to the BIOS causes the PC to die on 'Save and Exit".

The CPU mobo jumpers are set correctly, but changing BIOS from default (400Mhz CPU) to the correct CPU causes total PC failure, forcing a BIOS reset.
    I realise I'll probably have to reformat and/or re-install XP but I can't even begin that cos I cannot change the boot order to floppy first - cos it all goes dead when i try to restart and AGAIN i have to reset the BIOS in order to start it at all!!

All help much appreciated. (y) thanks.

QDI motherboard manual - http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/products/A5-133.htm

2. winbob

winbob

This IS a generalized guess, but more info from you may clarify?

First, what is the BIOS setting that you are changing, and FROM what value TO what value?

Second, what is the specification of the Memory that you are using?

I'm guessing that you are pushing the Memory Bus speed beyond the spec of the installed memory????

3. garypoet

garypoet Thread Starter

Hi, it turned out that the wrong BIOS update was installed. So i flashed the correct one with UNIFlash and there have been a few improvements. BIOS changes now seem to be being stored, but... [i don't know if this should be a new thread]

When i try to start a clean install (the hard drive is blank) from a Win98 start-up floppy [to install Win2000) it locks up as it reaches the "Checking your disk for errors" stage. Also "Verifying DMI..." messages often come up and then everything locks up again.

The BIOS settings are at default. The RAM i'm using with the PIII 600EB is PC133 128MB.

But i can't get into the installation proper.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/496919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice