1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MOBO caught on fire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Felipe123, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Felipe123

Felipe123 Thread Starter

So I recently built a new computer but right as I turned it on nothing started. The fans didn't spin and the lights on the motherboard didn't turn on. I then realized smoke had been coming out of the 24 pin connecter on the motherboard so I turned it off. I didn't want to give up there so I decided to unplug everything from the motherboard to find the root of the problem. The only thing I left plugged into the motherboard was the cpu, cpu cooler, and the computer case pins. I then plugged in the 24 pin and 8 pin from the power supply and got the same result except fire came out of the 24 pin this time. I then plugged in my power supply to my old computer to see if the power supply works and everything ran fine.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    What make/model motherboard?

3. Felipe123

Felipe123 Thread Starter

ASUS Prime z390-A

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You've got both power connectors plugged in, right?
    There isn't something shorted, is there? Can you try to remove the board from the case and connect the PSU with the board on a (non-metallic) table?

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Seems your motherboard is already defective.
    If still under warranty you may want to get an RMA from the manufacturer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice