1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mobo cpu support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimpom, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimpom

jimpom Thread Starter

i have a fic az31 mobo, could someone please tell me what the
    max speed duron cpu i could use, i have gotten different info from
    amd, the mobo manual says 600-750, but on the same hand they also say that a 800 is compatible and i've read that you can even
    use a 1000 duron. is the latter with a bios flash or upgrade ?
    thanks

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

next time, if you have the manual provide a bit more info or a link to the site about the product. FIC no longer has info about THAT mobo thou... The info that helps would be the chipset. Such as VIA-KT100, etc etc.

I did a quick check on the site and got the manual.

It's a KT-133Chipset that supports DDR.

BIOS support for the product is not great, there are no NOTES about top speed or anything. I suggest you call their US Office and ask them what the highest speed the Mobo supports with the NEWEST BIOS upgrade.

A new BIOS allows higher speed. When that board was first made, the 1Ghz CPU wasn't out yet.

Because your Mobo Supports DDR (good) and is such a chipset (make sure your using the latest 4-in1 drivers) - in theroy you can plug in up to a 1.4Ghz AMD T-Bird CPU (not the AMD XP cpus)

Make sure the version is a 100Mhz chip, otherwise it'll run around 1.1Ghz.

Check out http://www.pricewatch.com for idea of some prices.

A 1.3Ghz Duron may run you about $100 - then again, so can a 1.4Ghz 100Mhz bus speed Thunderbird. You may consider going for the FASTEST... but you need to make sure that your case (since its a small MATX micro tower) has enough airflow as the faster CPUs generate more HEAT.

3. wedor

wedor

First off that board does NOT support DDR RAM, and the highest CPU speed listed on the latest revision of the board is 1000mhz.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Me bad...!

I read the manual wrong.... DDR of the 100Mhz bus speed - DOH!!

It is possible for the Mobo to go faster - but that is up to the support of the manufacture to upgrade the BIOS.

jimpom, how fast is your current CPU?

If you already have a 600~700mhz CPU, the 300Mhz of a 1ghz CPU will give you a bit more speed for about $50~75 (25~30%)

If you want to use the same case, you can get another MATX mobo and install an AMD XP1600+ CPU for about $100 (The mobo is about $80) and you'll see about 2-4 times the performance of your current setup. Of couse it means new RAM as well :(

Here is a product link:

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v266-m/overview.htm

5. jimpom

jimpom Thread Starter

i found a compatibility test .pdf from fic and decided to go with a
    duron 800, it was a little confusing trying to decide because dif-
    ferent sources listed different types. ultimately what i was trying
    to figure out was what was the fasted cpu i could put w\out
    flashing the bios. i picked the duron the $$$ .
    thanks for your help. jimpom

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/81959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice