1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MoBo EP-8K7A+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theses93, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theses93

theses93 Thread Starter

I yust got my MoBo. It is a Epox 8K7A+ Everything is installed double checked several times before I powered up. It starts up, the fan spinns, the harddrive makes a few moves. But that's about it. The LED showes FF wich stand for fully functional from what I found out so far. The monitor does not come on at all. The CD-Rom light stays on and will not turn off.
    The CPU is a AMD Duron 1300 installed. But I also have a AMD Duron 1600 laying around just in case this one does not work.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Any help or tip is welcome.

Thank you guys?

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

Seeing as U have double checked everything I would go back and check that your IDE Cables are all in the right way round.Pin1 to Pin 1 ect....

Next Off I would Make sure you have the right Memory for the MB.

Take out all unessaccary Cards for the time being and boot up with only what U need.

If U have a GFX Card make sure your monitor is Plugged into to that and not the Integrated Video....

Try those first ...

Sherry

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Any beeps? Best thing to do is take the board outside of the case and lay on a towel or plat surface pulgging in the psu plugs, cpu,memory (1 stick) and video and then short the pw jumper with a screw driver...if it posts then you know the problem is after that. If it doesn't then you have narrowed the problem to ram incompatibility (which is the most common), video or motherboard.
    Do you have risers in the case between the motherboard and case ?

4. theses93

theses93 Thread Starter

Thank you:rolleyes:

If it is the ram should the CPU at least get some temperature. Or am I wrong there. But I will try your method to narrow it down, like you said. And yes I do use risers between the mobo and the case. Why is there somehing that could be wrong?

Just to let you know. The ram is a pc2100 512mb 184 pin. The previous owner admited that at one point he shortend out his CPU and board by using the wrong heatsink or something like that. I bought the ram from him. Apparently the ram came out of that mobo. But even if this is the case should the CPU at least funktion. I worked with bad ram before and the CPU worked regardless of the ram?

Am I going wrong here. If so I will run out and get a new ram right now!

Thank you

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Shorting out board and cpu could easily have damaged the ram. If ram is incompatible, nothing will work and you cannot simply buy ram by speed, you have to match ram to your motherboard. best way to do that is use configurator at a site such as www.crucial.com because cas latency, density and ecc factor what you need to match ram correctly.

6. theses93

theses93 Thread Starter

I will check out your link. I had no idea to be honest. I thought it is enough to by the ram by Factors like it is a PC2100, 184pin, 266FSB, 512mb. I guess there is more to it. Let me check it out and I will contact you here again.:confused:

thank you

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK all the major ram sites have configurators as well...www.kingston.com www.corsair.com etc...

8. theses93

theses93 Thread Starter

Ok I checked it out. But there is something I dont get. Epox website tells me that the mobo I have (EP-8K7A+) is a PC 2100 board that need DDR 266 Ram. I gave the specs to the link you gave me and it shows me PC2700 or 3200 with DDR 333 or 400. What is right and what is wrong. What should I use now?:confused:

9. theses93

theses93 Thread Starter

OK the Kingston Ram link tells me I need a 266mhz DDR non ECC CL2.5 DIMM.

That sounds about right doesnt it!(y)

10. theses93

theses93 Thread Starter

corsair does not list my Board. OK

But I realy thank you for the links. But could you still tell me what difference it makes if I use risers between board and MoBo. Maybe there is something wrong there too. And is it necesarry to ground my board inside the case and if yes how is this done?

Thank you

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The risers are to keep the board from shorting out to the case. If your risers are made of metal then they will provide the proper ground in the proper places for you. The risers also make it so that your I/O's on the back of the MB fit properly in the I/O plate.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

I only asked you if you used risers between the board and the case, because that is a common mistake that causes the problem you are having, when new builders don't realize they have to use them.

Lately Crucial has been showing higher speed ram than the others and it could just be because it will still run as 266, but if you use a higher speed then it will come in more handy for you on a later build.

13. theses93

theses93 Thread Starter

Thank you everybody

you guys realy helped me a lot. There is a lot of information I did not have yet. Thank you again for your time and help.

theses93(y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice