1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mobo fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by g5604, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. g5604

g5604 Thread Starter

Hi.

i have a fan on the motherboard that is getting or prehaps always has been really loud, is it it possible to buy a new quiet one?? or do i actually need it at all, i have a heatsink/fan on the cpu, a psu fan, two case fans and a fan on the video card.

gareth.

2. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

That really depends on who you ask. A "Heat Freak" like myself will tell you it is a bad idea to remove any fans from your system. Others might tell you that any fan on the mobo other then the CPU fan is unnecessary. The end choice is up to you.

You can replace it, but finding the right size fan to fit in the specialized bracket will be difficult (It looks like one piece but it is actually two- fan and bracket). Check the local shops to see what you can come up with

BTW, Welcome to TSG

3. norton850

norton850

Often a fan on the motherboard is over the Northbridge chip. Many motherboard manufacturers will replace these for free. Does this sound like the noisy fan and what is the make of your motherboard?

4. g5604

g5604 Thread Starter

Hi

the board is a abit 1s7 series, not sure what a nothbridge chip is but it is over some sort of chip, is it ok to take it out?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Abit has always used really cheap chipset fans. This should be a standard chipset / vga 40MM fan. You can buy them at any computer shop. Replacing it usually requires removing just the four screws holding it to the heatsink.

The above poster is correct in that Abit will generally replace the fan or just rma the board.

6. g5604

g5604 Thread Starter

i see thanks! it is a northbridge fan, easy to remove as it simply hooks onto the mobo.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The ABIT fans are junk, I just replaced mine with a generic one from a VGA cooling kit. I sent them a nasty email, but I don't really expect a response.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/394295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice