1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MOBO for EMachine T2682

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trooper29, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trooper29

Trooper29 Thread Starter

My motherboard has failed and I am looking to replace it. From reading blogs, it would a mistake to replace it with the same model motherboard. Currently my EMachine T2682 has an Imperial GV 20030812 (Mat# 143159) Motherboard running WinXP Home, 256Mb DDR (PC2100) for memory, Intel 845GV Chipset, 80GB HDD. I am looking at the ASUS but not sure of a model that would compatible as a replacement. Can anyone please suggest a suitable replacement for this system. Thank you for any assistance provided.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Start with your processor. Find a board compatible with it, if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a repair. If you're trying to use as many of your existing components as possible, you're likely looking at a used/refurbished motherboard.

eMachines have a reputation for using the cheapest components they can find to build their PCs. Beware of their power supplies, another high failure item!

Good luck!

3. Trooper29

Trooper29 Thread Starter

Appreciate the good information. The processor is Intel P4 with a socket type mPGA478 running @ 2.2GHz and 400/533MHz. Is this the details I want to reference when looking for a replacement? Then from there type of memory DDR PC2100/PC1600?

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    The Socket 478 would be the starting point, I'd think. You should always try to check the mfr. Web site to see if the model board you are looking at is compatible with your CPU. Most will have that info on their site (I know Asus does).

5. Trooper29

Trooper29 Thread Starter

Good stuff, I'm all over it. Thanks for the confidence builder. I think I found a few to look at, what do you think if you are familiar with these? ASUS P4B266, P4B-MX and the P4B533-VM. My only concern is the size of the board. I guess I can get the size of the broke one from the website.

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I'm not familiar with any specific models (other than the few I've used over the years). Unless the case is smaller than normal, you should probably be OK size-wise.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do see one big problem; unless you use the designated replacement board, you will have to buy another copy of windows. The version of windows that comes with big box systems ie dell, hp, whatever is valid only on the original hardware ie motherboard OR the system builder's designated replacement board.

FWIW, I would not put money into that old of a system. It is 4 generation old technology and not really cost effective.

I did find one new socket 478 board however I need the exact cpu you are using to check compatibility.
    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...-Socket-478-945GC-DDR2-A-V-L-MATX-Motherboard

8. Trooper29

Trooper29 Thread Starter

crjdriver- Thanks for your assistance. To answer your question, the CPU in the machine is an The processor is Intel P4 with a socket type mPGA478 running @ 2.2GHz and 400/533MHz. Looking at the BioStar Motherboard looks to me to be a good fit. Will this require me to do a fresh load of WinXp or will simply transferring the processor from the old board to the new board be all I'll need to do?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, what I need is the processor number it looks something like SK12F or whatever. Here is the cpu support list for that board.
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/cpu_support.php?S_ID=440

Yes, you need to do a clean install of windows IF you want it to work correctly. There is a procedure outlined at the top of the forum for swapping boards without a clean install. The procedure starts with the old board still installed AND working however.

10. Trooper29

Trooper29 Thread Starter

crjdriver, sorry for the delay in response but I was taken away briefly due to military obligations. The processor number you asked for is SL6VV. It is an Intel Celeron 2.6GHz which is contrary to what I thought it was in my previous response. Sorry about that.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just got back from work. The board I linked to is not going to work since that cpu only has a 400 fsb and that board supports 533/800 fsb.
    Just did a quick check and I do not find any new boards that support that old of a cpu. About the only two options open are to attempt to buy a board on ebay OR check with local shops they often have used parts that were pulled from working systems.

FWIW that is a really low end cpu and IMO not worth putting any money into.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice