Mobo GB Z87X UD5H CPU Intel I7 4770K

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BrettH

I am upgrading an old pc with the hardware mentioned and 16gb ram. I installed a harddrive from my old system which has Win 10 home. The newer system turns on, fans work and I was able to do bios update. I created a window 10 boot usb, and system sees the drive and starts to do new install. The system does not see the old hardrive, and shows "AO" on the error LED display on the motherboard. I am using the mobo video so, no video card.

First time, for installing all compoments. Whats my next steip to get this running? Thanks for the help in advance.

BrettH

Further research suggests using the windows 10 sysprep app. Has anyone tried this method to get the new motherboard to see the old c drive?

crjdriver

When you install windows, have only that drive connected. Once done with the install, shutdown and connect whatever other drives you want.

Your post is unclear. Do you have one or two hard drives in this system?
If you were thinking of using the windows install from an old system, not going to happen. You need to either follow the procedure outlined at the top of the forum for this task OR clean install windows. If you do use the old install, it will not be activated; ie you need a new windows lic. The only exception to the above is a full retail [not oem] type windows lic.

BrettH

I have only the one drive connected, but the system does not see the drive so the windowsinstall can not proceed. The GB mobo in the title is in the new build , the old mobo was a dell. I will review the procedure at the top of the forum.

BrettH

This section of your (crjdriver) instructions is new to me, I will have to educate myself a little more.

This will work on both sata and ide type drives however if you have sata and the sata controller mode is set to AHCI or Raid, you may have problems. If your sata controller mode is set to ahci, you can attempt to swap to native ide in the system bios before beginning this task. If it boots using native ide, then you should be able to do the swap. If it does not boot when changing the controller mode, then you are out of luck.

crjdriver

Is the drive in question properly IDed in the bios ie shows correct brand and size?
You do understand that you have two different sata controllers; an intel and a marvel controller. Make sure your drive is connected to the intel and NOT the marvel controller. Make sure both sata and pw connectors are fully seated on both the drive and the board.

Last edited:

BrettH

Have not used bios before, however after reviewing the tabs, in bios, there is no mention of the harddrive. Also during startup the system reports "no bootable drive" and defaults to the bios. There are two cables connected to the harddrive, I will switch out the sata cable in case that is the problem, and try a different power connection.

crjdriver

Make sure you are connecting the drive to an intel port and NOT the marvel ports on the board. Read your manual as to the location. These ports will be different colors ie blue and black or whatever. Again do not use the marvel controller.

BrettH

I have to sheepishly admit that the power connection on the plug I used was bad, after I switched to a different plug, on the same string , windows booted. Hurray! In hindsite I should have checked to see if the harddrive was vibrating/spinning at power on. Thanks for your help crjdriver.

crjdriver

You are welcome. You are not the first [nor will you be the last] person to miss a connection issue.
Glad to see it is working now (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts