1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mobo gets power but nothing else does

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tylord, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tylord

Tylord Thread Starter

Snapchat-1778976408.jpg

I'm building a PC and I've gotten everything plugged in (correctly?).

When I flip the switch on my PSU, the lights on my motherboard light up. At this point, my case power switch does not do anything.
    My front panel connectors are all connected correctly (Power SW / Reset SW / HDD LED)

My case does feature a LED control board that connects to the 4-pin cabel labeled "POWER".

I've connected my PSU to the rear of this 4-pin POWER cable and connected an adapter to the front of the POWER cable. I do not know where the adapter end plugs in though.
    ________________specs________________
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 ATX Motherboard

PSU: CORSAIR Vengeance 750M CP-9020176-NA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Semi-Modular Power Supply

CASE: DIYPC Vanguard-V8-RGB Black Dual USB3.0 Steel/ Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case w/Tempered Glass Side Panel and Pre-Installed 4 x RGB LED Dual Ring Fans

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

RAM: Patriot Viper Elite 4GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL16 1.2V Grey DIMM (288-pin)

STORAGE: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the adapter was supplied with the case/controller, then I would suspect it connects to the control board.

The case and case model info would be helpful.

Having said that, the LED controller not having power shouldn't affect the PC from powering on.

3. Tylord

Tylord Thread Starter

4. Tylord

Tylord Thread Starter

________UPDATE_______
    I've gotten the motherboard to receive power, and the case starts up including fans and lighting. Every single fan is working.

When plugged into my moniter while powered on, the monitmo receives no input at all.

I've tried both HDMI and DisplayPort

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Unplug the GPU and connect to the on mobo connectors and try that.

6. Tylord

Tylord Thread Starter

I just tried that using my DisplayPort cable direct in my motherboard still nothing

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Remove the GPU first. The presence of the GPU will sometimes disable the on mobo graphics.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

The Ryzen 7 2700 doesn't have graphics.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read the guide at the top of the hardware forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your problem.
    Common errors for new builders;
    1 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
    2 4/8/12pin aux pw connector not plugged in
    3 Ram not fully seated in slot or slots
    4 ATX or Aux pw connectors not fully seated
    5 Parts not compatible. Does not seem to be an issue here
    6 Cooler or HSF not installed correctly. This is more an intel problem than an amd problem since the amd type coolers are pretty much idiot proof

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice