1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mobo/gfx problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NetSkay, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NetSkay

NetSkay Thread Starter

hey guys, i recently bough some parts from newegg.com and i got them delivered today, i put everything together
    gigabyte mobo, ATX
    AMD CPU dual core...
    300 watt antec power supply...
    my problem is that my mobo doesnt have onboard video, and i put my graphic board (ATI XTASY 9200 SE 128mb memory) on a regular PCI slot
    connected my PSU which has 20 pin mobo connector properly, it only goes in one way anyway, and i power up my machine, the HDD let blinks 3 times or so, no OS installed, and the screen doest show anything, doest show the boot/BIOS/device detect screen or anything, sits idling, and no signal is going to it

i donno whats wrong... is it possible that because the power supply is 20 pin, those extra 4 pins suply electrical current to the standart PCI slots or something, i donno
    is it a bad mobo or wtf is it, going crazy over here:(

2. twizzie

twizzie

I had the similar problem, does the screen say anything?? Blank screen, absolutly nothing at all, then it maybe the power supply.

3. twizzie

twizzie

or in another case, the powersupply could of affected the motherboard

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi people...Because you built your machine from scratch, it could be anything...First of all make sure your graphics adapters are in the first PCI slot (not PCI Xpress). Then make sure that all power supply cables are properly connected. There is a 4pin molex that powers the CPU in most modern mobos. Connect this to the right slot if it exists (It is usually near the CPU socket) as those symptoms can indicate this problem.

In modern motherboards there is a BIOS option that tells the PC where to look for it's primary graphics adapter and it should be by default at PCI Xpress or AGP. Maybe the problem lies here (It is not likely as old PCI graphics usually work fine and are used for diagnosis if other graphics fail but give it a try). But to do this you have to find an AGP or PCI-X graphics card so you can boot.

I insist though that something is not right with the power connectors so please check all these possibilities first.

You don't get any warning sounds, do you?

5. NetSkay

NetSkay Thread Starter

no soundsm, the graphic card is on the second PCI slot, but i dont think it makes a difference.. when i turn it on... the HDD led blinks couple of times, the DVDROM reads for boot then nothing... the screen is constantly black, no color black, it stays off and the led for power on the monitor just blinks as if its idleing u know when u turn ur computer off...
    i hope its the PSU, i have a 300 watt psu with 24pin connector and a P4 connector for the CPU too, although the power supply i had that P4 connector too except it was 20pin instead of a 24pin
    i wonder what are the chances that the mobo is bad, and the chances that it went bad because i had a 20pin PSU, and what are the chances that those 4 extra pins on the main board connector power up the PCI slots, cause the manual states that they deliver up to 15v together to the motherboard, but where it goes i have no idea

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Let's see...

The extra 4pins are not for PCI slots. They are for mobos that come with an 24pin connector. You shouldn't worry about that. Just leave the extra 4pins alone. I hope I got what you say right...

It could be the PSU. It has no big deal of power but is it so crappy that you can't even boot? I don't know. Try this in order to find out though:

-Uninstall CPU and heatsink/fan, clear the socket from dust if any (with air - do not touch it)
    and reinstall it. You can do that with the mobo and every expansion card. Check the mobo screws - remove them if neccessary and reinstall the mobo. Make sure that the screws aren't causing any short circuit with the metal case - to do so just do not tie them very tight.

-Disconnect everything except the basic devices needed for boot. No extra hard disks, no cdrom drives, no sound cards and modems, just one RAM stick etc. By doing this your machine will require less power from the PSU. If you boot then just buy a good PSU at about 500Watts.

-If the above fail, borrow a better PSU and try to boot again.

7. NetSkay

NetSkay Thread Starter

no u got me wrong, the PSU has the 20 pin connector, the motherboard has the 24pin

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Sorry but please explain once more:

Do you have a 20pin molex installed on a 24pin mobo? The 4extra pins are not PSU pins but mobo slot pins? If that's the case then you should buy a new PSU providing all 24pins.

9. NetSkay

NetSkay Thread Starter

yeah correct, the MOTHERBOARD has a 24pin female connector
    the POWER SUPLY UNIT has 20 pin female connector

is it possible that the mobo could be damaged by putting a 20 pin connector into a 24 pin motherboard... and also i thought that 24pin motherboards could also run on a 20pin PSU

10. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I don't think that any damage happened. I also have heard that but I'm not sure. I'll try asking around tommorow anyway. If you have time please try some of the things I suggested before as from my personal experience even the most simple thing can cause problems when building a PC from scratch.

11. NetSkay

NetSkay Thread Starter

well i dont want to use that power supply, ill wait till my new one comes and see if the problem persists, if it does, hope god it doesnt, then ill check and try to run it outside of the case...

please ask around if my mobo could be damaged due to the 20pin connector, which i doubt cause the PSU has safe protection and it would turn off, also touching or shorting anything would cause the PSU to switch off as far as i know... thnk you and if u could email me with ur answer or PM me possibly ill be thankful

12. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I 'll PM you if I find something. Pm me too if you come with a solution. Please do not post your email address in a public forum, it is not a good idea generally! ;)

13. NetSkay

NetSkay Thread Starter

i know its not a good idea, thats why i have 2 emails, one private and one for public stuff like that...
    anyway... i spoke to 2 friends of mine who deal with computers, both of them told me that its most likely the PSU, that this mobo is doesnt work most likely with 20 pin PSUs, and im guessing that this is true, although the mobo does turn on and so does everything else, those 4 extra pins i read supply energy to the PCIe and PCIe x16 ports, however from this im concluding that they also supply energy to the regular PCI slots too, since my graphic board wont display anything, and i wouldnt know that for sure until i get my 24pin PSU, they also said, if its a 24pin mobo i should use a 24pin PSU too... i also asked them about shortage in the mobo due to using a 20pin PSU, both said its unlikely, but they did recommend that i shouldnt bother with the PC anymore untill i get my new 24pin PSU... im also best guessing that since the mobo is a new release, the latest from gigabyte, that it is designed to work with 24pin PSUs only, and not with 20pins anymore...one of the guys said to call him when i get my PSU and he'll come to check out the problem and help me out...
    however, another friend of mine, said that its not the PSU because the CPU fan is working and told me to unplug everything BUT CPU and 1 piece of ram, did that, same thing... so i stopped
    i hope u can backup my theory about the 24pin where those 4 15v pin supply all the mobo's slots... and i hope i havent shorted the mobo or something and have to replace it

thnx...

14. NetSkay

NetSkay Thread Starter

i would also like to know if i get an adapter, would that do me any good, 20pin to 24pin mobo?!

15. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

hi again...

First of all, no I would not recommend using an adapter...

I don't think that your mobo was damaged or short circuited. Short circuits do not happen this way, and you gave less power to your mobo. Only if you gave more power damage could occur. The first 20pins of 24pin PSUs are the same with the 20pins of the old 20pin PSUs. So don't be affraid.

Older PCI devices do not need external power. Is something in your mobo's layout that makes you think that those molex connectors can be added? I do not know of any 4pin PCI power connector. Never seen one but even if they exist I don't think your modern mobo will need them. And your graphics card is not a power demanding one so it doesn't need external power. I only know of 6pin PCI Xpress connectors however...Actually I'm reading my PSU's manual now to see if there is something similar with yours...My old 300watt PSU doesn't have 4pin connectors too, except the P4 connector.

One more thought. Look at your PSU's manual or it's label. At the +12Volt rail, what amperage values does it show?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice