1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MOBO/HD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tosim33, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tosim33

tosim33 Thread Starter

Your advice please:Am running WIN98SE (after formatting, partitioning). HD is only 8.4GB, but after 3 years of hard use still have roughly 5GB free. ( Am a software junky but store most appys on CDRs and ZIPs.
    I am not a gamer. Computer is Packard Bell multimedia, AMD-K6-2,3DNOW,model 955. I've changed CDROM to 52X and installed a good burner(both less than 6 months ago). All in all, (using DSL), am well pleased with system. However, I've been thinking of upgrading by changing to maybe 40GB HD, and new MOBO. I can get the ASUS A7V133 raid mobo w/VIAKT133A chipset w/Socket A interface, AND 1.2GB AMD Athlon processor for $169 + tax. Will I also have to upgrade power supply( don't have specs on present one)? Your thoughts please. Thanks, again.

2. RandyG

RandyG

Old adage . . ."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

More than likely, the K6 is using 2 or 4 clock dimms, or possibly 66 MHZ dimms. Your new board will require new memory, as your existing RAM will be too slow.

You will more than likely need a new powewr supply as Athlones like to suck the juise. Recommended minimum is 250 - 300 Watts. An additional fan or 2 for the hot Athlones would also be necessary.

If your also asking on whether or not you should go for the upgrade, I will only ask you this . . .

Do you need it?

3. tosim33

tosim33 Thread Starter

Hey Randy, As an electronics man, yes, I do know the adage, "If it aint broke, don't fix it.". And, also, "Do you need it?".
    So, thanks for such a quick reply, and I will stay with what I have (and am ? satisfied with) until it dies or is too outmoded. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice