1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mobo isn't booting into bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barabus, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barabus

barabus Thread Starter

Hey all,

So close to getting this new computer to work, here is the problem. I turn on the switch, the mobo starts to boot up, the HDD starts spinning up and seeking, the CD drive's green LED blinks, the corsair mem's activity LEDs blink, the whole computer sounds like it's booting up, that lovely higher pitched sounds of the fans speeding up, the keyboard lights come on, and the amber LED on the front is turning to green, AND THEN THE WHOLE THING SHUTS DOWN, about two seconds later it trys again and then shuts down again. My current theroy is that the heatsink that INTEL sent me with the processor is either not making good contact with the processor, or that the grey clay crap that they put on it isn't acting as a good enough heat transfer compound, below is what i am using to build the computer, does anyone else have any idea what it could be? thanks in advance

Mother Board:
    MB ASUS P5GDC-V DELUXE

CPU:
    INTELĀ® PENTIUMĀ® 4 PROCESSOR 550 (3.4GHz) 775-pin 1MB CACHE 800MHz FSB

Memory:
    Corsair 512 MB DDR2 (667) PC-5400

HD:
    Hitachi 250GB/IDE/ATA-6 8MB CACHE

CD Drive:
    LITEON DVD+/-RW SOHW-812S WHITE

Floppy Drive:
    Sony 1.44MB White Floppy Drive

Power Supply:
    ASPIRE ATX-AS500W BK

Video Card:
    (To be added, once PCI Express Video cards hit market, for now running video off of integrated video processor on the Motherboard)

2. norton850

norton850

You need to do the "barebones" startup. Just the RAM, CPU with heat sink etc, and the monitor hooked up. If it works add components until you have a problem. It it doesn't work try the same thing with the MB out of the case on a non conductive surface. If it still doesn't work then you are left with trying to troubleshoot RAM, power supply, overheating or the motherboard.

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Hey, I agree with both of you. Doing the build piece by piece is what I would do in this situation and is the most logical troubleshooting method..

The crap the send from the factory for the CPU is what I use to practice my skills at hitting the wastebasket. I would ditch that stuff and use Artic Silver if I were you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice