1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mobo light on pc wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zexion, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zexion

Zexion Thread Starter

I accidentally installed a new gpu with the power supply cord in and I forgot that it was in there. I tried to turn the pc on and nothing happened. The motherboard light is still on.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Was the computer powered on or simply plugged in

3. Zexion

Zexion Thread Starter

Plugged in.

4. Macboatmaster

Provide some more detail please
    motherboard make and model
    original GPU
    new GPU make and model
    Separate power connection on GPU or from PCI bus

When you reply type in box that appears not by clicking reply on my post, that automatically quotes back to me what I have just typed

5. Zexion

Zexion Thread Starter

HP 531965-001 for the motherboard
    Original GPU:Intel Q43 Express chipset
    New GPU: GTX 750 Ti
    I'm not sure of what you mean by separate power connection but my GPU goes right into a PCI slot

6. Macboatmaster

Many cards require a separate power connection, as they draw more power than be provided across the bus.
    However yours does not require such connection it gets its power from the PCI bus

Your original graphics was not of course an actual card as the Intel Q43 chipset are integrated on the motherboard

How is the new graphics card connected to the monitor please
    One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One mini-HDMI

and I presume the video output on the I/O plate is not now connected.

7. Zexion

Zexion Thread Starter

Connected by DVI-I. The graphics card has been removed I also tried removing everything else from the MB and tried plugging it in one at a time trying to power it on and no luck.

8. Macboatmaster

To which do you refer
    do you mean you have removed the GTX750 and tried again with the integrated graphics

9. Zexion

Zexion Thread Starter

Yep didn't turn on then either

10. Macboatmaster

Good luck with it
    It appears you have damaged the circuitry somewhere on the board

Have you tried resetting CMOS just in case

11. Zexion

Zexion Thread Starter

How would I go about doing that?

12. Macboatmaster

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure the power switch didn't accidentally disconnect from the motherboard.

Also, what power supply do you have in the computer? There should be a label on the side of it. The stock power supply that comes in many HP's is not adequate to power a graphics card and it may have failed when you tried to turn the computer on with the new card.

Also, disconnect the power, keep the video card removed, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then release the button, plug in the power supply, and see if you can turn the computer normally.

After that you will want to test with another power supply, you may have to borrow one or take it into a shop to have it tested. If it's not the power switch, or the power supply, then it's likely the motherboard although sometimes it something odd like a stick of RAM that is partially knocked loose, or a USB device, or other card that is preventing the system from powering on.

14. Macboatmaster

250 watt I think is standard on that motherboard with HP
    The card if the standard GTX750Ti only draws 60 watt
    http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications

and although 300 is the recommended I would not have expected failure of the PSU simply by powering on with the card. Running under graphic load I would have thought would be the more likely cause of PSU failure.

If by chance your computer is the HP Compaq 6000 Pro Small Form Factor. which does have that motherboard, although I am sure many other HP models used it as well then that graphics card is double width, and my colleagues comment about dislodging other components may well be bang on target.

I also suggest you post exact model of HP, if all the tests suggested fail

15. Zexion

Zexion Thread Starter

New problem

When the power cord is in the supply all the fans go crazy! But the power button still does not work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice