MoBo on Dell

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jmhickman09

I have a dell dimension 3000 that i got in september. It has two memory slots and no agp/pci express slots. If i got a new motherboard would that be the only thing I have to replace? Can I even replace a motherboard on a Dell? I read somewhere that you cant (It has some kind of dell-only connector or something like that). If I can, can anyone make a recommendation? I want this one to be a good one and last for a while.

The problems are:

Its possible that the power supply connector is wired differently (some are on Dell, some are standard). It may fit but with expensive consequences.

The version of Windows will not run, as the reinstall disk will be BIOS locked to the old motherboard, so a new version of XP will be needed (the one installed on the hard drive will fail to boot on the new hardware in most cases)

Your RAM may or may not be suitable depending on the motherboard chosen.

Your power supply may also be undersized (plus have the wrong wiring as above).

Sorry to sound so negative, but you need to consider these things.

jmhickman09

Thanks for the help. It's ok to be negative. I can't exactly say I'm an expert. I can probably get Xp from my uncle. I was thinking about getting some more RAM anyways. Just in the verrrry distant future. Same for the motherboard and I guess now power supply. Can anyone make any power supply and motherboard reccomendations?

As far as the power supply, supposedly Dell PS are now fully ATX compatible and the wiring should match. They may still be underpowered and a replacement may or may not fit due to size limitations. Dell cases and motherboards were (are??) proprietary and a new non Dell motherboard may not fit. Sometimes here on the forum we take our best guesses on Dell products. I really would suggest that you go to the Dell web site and log on to their forum to get the best info on this topic.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?~ck=mn

Assuming that is the same case that I bought with a slightly smaller PS (I'm sure it is) for a newegg everything on sale build for someone who didn't want to pay very much.

It's nice looking lit up in blue, but it's on the cheap side as far as metal grade and power supply. So I really wouldn't recommend it.
Do you have a budget and know what kind of system you want to end up with, because you may end up buying a new case with PS, MB, RAM and video card at the least.

jmhickman09

I figured it might come to that:( yeah kind of tight budget right now. Thanks for the help though. After browsing through the reviews on newegg a lot of people said the same thing you did about the case. Thanks norton and kiwiguy. I have the information I need. I'll probly have plenty of cash by summer and I can think about some upgrades then. For now, though, my Dell's holding up very well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online