1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MoBo or Processors fried??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kydflash, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kydflash

kydflash Thread Starter

A friend of mine(and i really do mean a friend) brought me his computer. He discribed a problem yesterday, and I kinda helped. His computer was shutting down after 30sec -2 min of operation. Turns out is CPU fan was not on, and it was overheating. Now he has a new fan, but the computer won't power up. The red LED on the Mobo lights up, and all the fans turn when he tries to power up. However, the front LED's won't light up, and the DVD-Rom won't open. I am confused. His the power source bad, i don't see how the mobo would effect the dvd-rom from opening, it seems as if it's not getting power. Also the HDD is not turning, even if the board and CPU were fried it would still turn wouldn't it?? Any help anyone can provide i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Ok, i have more info. I pulled the fan off, and the processor is a AMD XP 2000, 1.6 G/hrz. Slot A, I looked at the processor and there is discolorization(sp?) on the top and bottom of the chip around the portion that touches the heat sink. I assume the CPU us bad, any ideas on the MoBo???

2. onsite

onsite

If you think it is the power supply Compusa sells a power supply tester for $25. see if yours is a 20 or 24 pin.
    The mainboard controlls the power supply, right ? the on/off switch plugs into the mainboard.
    So even though it was overheating, it worked for sometime, now it will not. If the mainboard was going to die it would have done it a long time ago. I think something is disconnected or the power supply went bad.
    i would disconnect everything not needed to POST, disconnect the HD,FLOPPY ...etc
    reseat the vidoe card and ram. make sure the A/C is unplugged

3. pugmug

pugmug Banned

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I don't know if it's a bad cpu but definitely a motherboard shot.

5. onsite

onsite

How much do they charge for SH ? then with the compusa one you have to pay for gas and tax + you get it NOW.:D

ITCOULD BE SOMETHING LIKE THE ide CABLE IN BACKWARDS

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

$21.34 total,2 to 3 day shipping and still test more rails,onsite.

7. kydflash

kydflash Thread Starter

Ok, i checked the IDE cables they are all ok. I tried unplugging everything, and starting it up, and nothing new happened. The fans turn, and red light on the Mobo. The HHD isn't spinning, and the DVD-rom won't open. I thinking this has to be at least PSU issues, as the MoBo shouldn't effect either of these things. I am work work, so i don't have alot of options. I will pick up the tester on my way home. i have to agree, i go to compusa, so i can get one today. I ordered a new CPU, i figured the black on the chip couldn't of been good. I just don't want to have to replace the Mobo, if i don't have to. Of course, i realize the for $120 i could get a new CPU, MoBo and PSU from Newegg.com or Ebay. This may the route i end of going. Thanks for any and all help, in advance.

8. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Discolouration on the bottom of the processor?
    Sounds like they may have fried their CPU also.
    Athlon XPs are about the easiest processors to kill in my experience......

(EDIT: Okay I was a bit late!)

9. onsite

onsite

LOL all the power connectors go back to the same place in the power supply. The 5v go back to the same bus, the 12v same bus....etc. So if you test the mainboard connector you test it all. THAT IS TOO GIMICY for me.

10. kydflash

kydflash Thread Starter

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Here is mine. I didn't buy it for testing a PSU but it works all the way down to testing max amps. ;)

Attached Files:

12. onsite

onsite

WOO HOO even costs less then pugmugs. I was guessing at the price, that is what our shop paided for the ones for us.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That would be pretty useless for testing PC power supplies anyway. ;)

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, I know. It reads them fairly well. At least the voltages it does really well. I have never tried to amp a PSU with it. I may try it to see what happens some day when I am bored. I'll wrap it around a yellow and see what it reads. :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice