1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mobo, PSU, or CPU problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davedavid, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davedavid

davedavid Thread Starter

I have had this machine together for about a month and a half. It was built when my little asus machine (one of those terminator t2-p barebones) killed a stick of ram. I scoped out some qualified ram for my new board and slapped everything inside a new (bigger) case, the problem being that I still needed a new power supply. Being cheap and hasteful, I purchased and used a Chiefmax 650w PSU, knowing that I did not trust the brand. (not from personal experience.. just from hearing third-party stories) ..

Yesterday, I started to smell something faintly resembling burning plastic :eek: , but I could not figure out if it was coming from the monitor, lamp, or computer. The day went on and I more or less decided that it was coming from the monitor. I eventually fell asleep in front of the television (in another room) and did not wake up for several hours. When I did, it was probably 6am and I could not remember upon returning to my room, if I had left the computer on. The LAN light was flashing in the back like it was on.. a light on the keyboard was on.. but the computer was not.

I tried to turn it on and no go. I turned the power supply off, waited, turned it back on.. and before I could try turning it on again, I noticed that the power button light flashed quickly (one flash) when I turned the power supply on and off. Normally, I don't remember it ever flashing like that when the power supply was turned on and off; it just comes on when the computer is on. I've been inside to check connections and everything is secure.

Because of the varying factors of the smell of burning plastic, the time in which I was not present to witness what was going on, and the flash of the power indicator, it's difficult for me to diagnose (without attempting to attach a meter to stuff, which I hate doing) what the problem is. Am I correct in assuming that if the power supply were dead, it would not be able to power lights for the power and LAN indicators?

Shot CPUs don't smell like burning plastic, do they? I doubt this, but have never had a processor die either. My assumption is leaning toward the PSU.. but I still can't discredit the idea that the mobo might be the culprit.

Please help! :(

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Start at the beginning by swapping the power supply with a known good unit. When a power supply fails it is not unusual for it to take out components downstream from it especially motherboards.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice