1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MOBO Question - Support Specific RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bubbadawg, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bubbadawg

bubbadawg Thread Starter

Hello All ---

Looking at purchasing this board (Asus P4P800-E Deluxe) and want to use most/all of my existing hardware. Can someone tell me if it supports Single Channel Memory (i.e. PC3200). I am currently using Corsair XMS3200.

thanks for any and all replies.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes the motherboard supports using a single stick of RAM. There is no such thing as single channel memory. Dual channel kits use two sticks of RAM but each stick is no different then one you could buy seperately, the diffference is the sticks are tested(you could say designed) so that they work perfectly in Dual Channel operation. To achieve dual channel operation you need to use two sticks; the two sticks do NOT have to be purchased as a Dual Channel kit although for best results you'd want two identical sticks as closely matched as possible.

You can go to the Corsair website to see if your particular stick has been tested with that motherboard: http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_search.html

3. bubbadawg

bubbadawg Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was more interested in knowing if I was restricted to using DDR memory only. From your post, I am assuming that I do not need to use only DDR memory?

Thanks for the kind assistance.

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

You can only use DDR memory with that board. Dual channel and DDR do not mean the same thing.

5. bubbadawg

bubbadawg Thread Starter

:confused:

My mistake. I am currently using DDR memory.

Thanks for the insight.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/380402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice