1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mobo replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alrich05, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alrich05

Alrich05 Thread Starter

My mobo has gone bad. I ordered a replacement. It is not the same brand but the hardware specs are the same. My question is. Will I have to reformat one of my hard drives to get it to boot? I have a dual boot system. I do not want to lose data on either.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Unless it has the same chipset as the original mobo, you are going to have to do a clean install of windows.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Depends. I just went from a striker 2 with nvidia chipset to a gigabyte with an 58 chipset, nd win let me migrate . I would say back up everything you want to keep, then try a swap out. Seems some will take, some wont, and without trying, you wont know.

4. Techknow

Techknow

You may have to re-activate windows as microsoft may see it as a new computer, if you can't get it to load because of the different chipset try going into safe mode (f8)and let windows sort out the drivers that it can and then load the rest from your motherboard cd. If the machine restarts during boot you may be looking at a re-install. What make is it? If you fit a new motherboard to some makes it will prevent the hdd recovery utility from working or the recovery disks that you created may not work, so beware

5. Alrich05

Alrich05 Thread Starter

Appreciate the info. I guess I will find out this coming Saturday when it arrives. Maybe time for a new build. ;)

6. Techknow

Techknow

you might get lucky, you never know

7. Alrich05

Alrich05 Thread Starter

Old board is a DFI UT nF4 Sli-D
    New board is a FOXCONN NFORCE4 ULTRA AMD SOCKET 939

8. Techknow

Techknow

Keep this post open and will check it out on Saturday

9. Alrich05

Alrich05 Thread Starter

Thanks.

10. Alrich05

Alrich05 Thread Starter

Houston there's a problem. Got the mobo on Saturday. Started replacement today. Tore down old build and cleaned cpu fan (minor dust) and other fans. replaced mobo, installed cpu thermal paste and cpu fan. Then the ram. Front panel connectors (made sure all were placed correct). Hooked up all peripherals and fans (spent some extra time bundeling the wires). Then hooked it up and there was a blink of lights then nothing. Rechecked the power on connections and the same thing. Replaced the ps with a known working one, the same. removed all power connections, but the board,cpu fan and the hard drives ( I have 3). Still the same so I started repeatedly hitting the power button hoping it was a fautly switch. It came on for a few second then out again. Re-recheck all connections. tried again. Worked then there was smoke and one of my hard drives began to glow red. Pulled the plug. Removed the drive and the metal at the back end was heat damaged and the room smelled of electronic death. Now before I try anything a want to hear any suggestions. I am not at all schooled on ic creation or the ports you plug into, but I wonder if it could be a bad sata port on the board, bad cabel or just the drive. The only physical damage is to the drive. The room smells better after I removed it and put it in another, although that room smells now. The drive is a Seagate barracuda 7200 rpm 500gb st3500630as. Nothing to important on it (thankfully I have an external backup for music, pictures ect. I am not gonna try anything for fear of losing another drive. Please any info would be appreciated.

11. Techknow

Techknow

Check underneath new motherboard to see if any of the mounting screws are in the wrong position. The new motherboard might have a screw hole in a different position. If there is it will cause a short.

12. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

AND,
    at this point with everything happening as it has,
    as dustyjay said, new clean install,
    so,
    why dont you treat it as a 'from-scratch'
    put the minimums together,
    OUTSIDE the case, on a table-top, whatever,
    make sure you have some 'insulation' under the board,
    one stick ram, no pci cards, harddrive, etc
    and see if it reaches the post screen,
    then continue adding components,
    OUTSIDE the case, it's easier to get to things,
    AND, with more room,
    not so liable to bump / knock other items, cable connections, etc

13. Alrich05

Alrich05 Thread Starter

Gonna try that tonight after work. Should have treated it as anew build from the start. Thanks i'll post back with the results.

14. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

AND,
    remember the static discharge thing,
    can't just touch the case here,
    won't be any,
    on a table,
    you can just touch the metal back-board,
    or,
    use the wrist strap,
    AND,
    be careful WHERE you clip it on,
    again,
    the metal back-board is a good spot,
    [that's the back of the mb where the pci boards mount to],

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/801823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice