1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mobo/Video Card Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonv04, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonv04

jonv04 Thread Starter

Ok ladies and gents, I'm a bit stumped with this most recent issue brought to me by a friend's dad. Gotta love the fact that since you know computers you are everyone's tech guy :p

I'll preface the issue with the computer itself. He has an eMachines T6216 with an ATi x1300 Pro (256mb) PCI-E card.

Anyway, onto the issue. For the past month or so his computer has been experiencing weird booting habits. You push the power button and receive power and everything appears to be working (hd spinning, leds flashing, etc etc). However, there is no display. In order to get the computer to boot with a display he was having to hold the power button down for four seconds to manually turn the machine off, then quickly press the button again and presto! Everything worked from then on. He said this didn't happen EVERY time he did a cold boot, but the majority of the time.

So now down to the main issue. Today I received a phone call asking me to stop by and take a look at his comp, that he wasn't getting any video out of the card. However, when using the onboard video he booted just fine.

Right away I think its something simple as the card slid out of its slot or something amateur like that. Hoping it's that simple at least, because it is about 10pm and I'd rather not go on a house call this late for something that isn't an easy fix.

Either way, I get there and I check the card and it was seated fine. No lose connections at all. So I proceed to assume the card is fried. I take the card back home (luckily I don't live that far away) and put his card in my comp. Didn't get a signal, but I might have been a bit eager to remove it and head back. I have a new 37" display which doesn't always grab the signal immediately (had to brag about the size there :p).

Anyway, before heading back I remembered I had an extra PCI-E card lying around. So I threw it in my comp to be 100% sure it was working and it did. I head down the street with the hopes of giving him my card and he'd be set to go. Nope! I put the perfectly working card in his computer to test and no go. Cannot get any signal to it at all. Not even trying his "power-off-quick-boot" method I mentioned above.

So I am now thinking it's the slot on the mobo. Somehow fried or just randomly died. He has only had the computer for a little over a year, so it's odd nonetheless.

I hoped into the BIOS to disable the check for PCI-E hoping it would alleviate the weird booting issue. Thinking it was looking for a display on that slot, and running into issues being the slot might be haywire. That didn't fix that issue.

I'm kind of stumped as to how to proceed. Never had an issue like this. Only time I've ever had a slot go bad was the "GEAR" slot on my current motherboard. This board has an AGP and PCI-E slot, the AGP was called a GEAR slot by the manufacturer.

Anyway, can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue. I'd hate to purchase a new mobo and video card if there is something I am missing out on. Something I haven't tried that has slipped my mind or that I do not even know of. Heck, I could even be looking at the issue wrong and not trying the proper things anyway. After all, it is a bit late and I have class in the morning.

So basically, what I'm asking is if anyone has ever experienced the weird booting issue I mentioned. And also if you think the PCI-E slot is FUBAR or what the deal may be with it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

e-machines do have problems. As for this case the only thing you can do is try another Slot(AGP or PCI) with another graphics card. Perhaps you could borrow one from a local PC shop or another friend to test with.

3. jonv04

jonv04 Thread Starter

Well, oddly enough I just gave away my only PCI graphics card last weekend, lol. So testing a card in the PCI slot is out. His board doesn't have an AGP slot so that is out of the question as well.

4. nfunk

nfunk

The 1.0 version of the mobo seems to have problems detecting video cards and general problems POSTing also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/557953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice