1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modded and Crashed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sniper420, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sniper420

sniper420 Thread Starter

I have Dell laptop M1330 which after four years of service, the fan started to make noise and then it started to heat badly that I could not place my hand on it. I decided to copper mod as here http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell...r-mod-147.html

Got thinner copper shin stated above and changed my fan and applied thermal for first time. I switch on my computer, but I hear my fan on full speed. I leave it on for 2 hours and return to check the heating and place my hand beside the mouse section and it is not heated much. Then after 2 hours as I was going to sleep BHAM! it switches off on its own! I tried to swtich on it loads on BIOS and sticks and at times provides warning like "Your computer switched off because of overheating .... fan section is blocked etc..... at times it switches off on it's own before even loading the OS. BIOS A15

Here are my specs LED with camera / 4 GB DDR2 667 / 320 GB 7200RPM / 128 MB NVIDIA 8400M GS / Black casing / Intel wireless-N / 6+9 cell batteries / Win XP Sp3/ BIOS A15

I then restarted my computer yesterday, it was about to log on to the windows then switched off without warning my fan was on full speed at background. every restart the BIOS checks for heating. Is there any hardware damage?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Could you re-post the link for the mod you have done, it is coming up as Page not Found.

It sounds like the mod you have done has not performed as it should and it is still overheating. CPU's are fairly tough and the built in overheat protection is shuting the system down to protect it. Once we see what you have done to the cooling system it will be easier to provide some assistance.

3. sniper420

sniper420 Thread Starter

http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...m1330-nvidia-geforce-8400m-gs-copper-mod.html

I tried switching on and it logged in for 4 hours I monitored the temperature of video card GPU which was very high 86 - 99 C and around 100 it had glitches and started to slow down the system. I switched off and switched on again , It failed to log on and switched off again.

I do not understand on this is previously to mod it used to heat up so much that if i place my hand on laptop it used to be very hot. Now I replaced the fan and it is a great fan and heating problem is gone but GPU heats and shuts down the BIOS which is very strange.

One question I have is if I tighten the screws would it make huge difference in temperature?

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

The mod looks like a favourable method to reduce temperatures but it would appear you have not followed the procedure correctly considering the overheating problem you still have.

I suspect your problem is due to using a thinner copper sheet than recommended as it will not be tightly held against the GPU.

5. sniper420

sniper420 Thread Starter

That may be the caseI will reorder the copper shin then

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

I would think that will solve the problem but let us know how you get on.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice