1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modding a cpu fan duct.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fang508, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fang508

fang508 Thread Starter

I have a htpc system running with a Noctua NH-L12 cpu cooler (flat top down) that I want to keep cooler with some ideas I have. This htpc case doesn't have a duct in the side panel to mount a case fan and since I am not against modding I started thinking. What if I cut a hole in the side panel using a hole saw the same size as the fan on the noctua (120mm)? I also want to make some sort of air duct/tunnel using that cut out hole directly over the cpu hsf so that it can breath cool air all the time. I have 2 120mm x 120mm x 25mm fans I can use. I am also thinking about cutting the motor assembly off of one of the fans so it becomes an empty duct. If I stack these I can completely close off the gap between the cpu cooler and side panel within like 3~mm. Would this work better having the fan on top of the stack near the panel or on the bottom touching the heatsink? Thanks

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Not a thing wrong with modding. Just experiment; with or with out a duct channel and with the positioning of the fans. It's the only way to know for sure which is going to be cooler.

BTW...I would love to see some pictures of this mod from beginning to completion.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice