1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modding my computer...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Miokie, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Miokie

Miokie Thread Starter

Hi! I'm eventually going to build my own computer, im only 14 but i have a good knowledge of this kind of stuff.
    I'm going to start out simple by modding my own computer and going to start out with something that seems simple which is going to be fans.
    But my question is, Does anybody know the fan size (mm) of a Acer Aspire T671-ME7L? I want to fit a Neon Green LED Fan. (I have googled it and searched through 7-8 pages)
    I would open up my own tower to have a look but I dont think im at that point yet, im just reading up.

Much Thanks,
    Jack.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG Miokie!!

If your going to tinker with computers its time to tinker. Take the stupid cover off and check it out. Also blow off the fan (pun intended) don't fix something that isn't broke. If additional power leads for another fan is available...maybe... Upgrade your ram, add a video card, hard drive or something useful.

The hardware stuff is pretty straight forward as long as you have the correct parts. It ain't Rocket Surgury! Also building your own pc is way over rated as some dorky passage way to geekdom. I would only build one if I had some application that required something from the pc that I couldn't buy or was a lot cheaper to build than to buy.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I would open it up and have a look inside. That way while you are reading you will have an idea what you can and cannot do with the PC. Measure the fan while you are there too. The fan size is measured from side-to-side of the fan assembly.

4. nvrsummer2

nvrsummer2

Agreed, Open that sucker up and look inside. Identify all of the parts and become comfortable with being in there. You'll read alot about what can go wrong. But you have to be trying really hard to do some damage.

5. draceplace

draceplace

Moiki, It's unanimous, the 2nd best braintrust of TSG (nvrsummer2, Frank4d and myself) say "Go for it"! or at least 'reply to your thread'.

Take some digital pictures of the inside to use as reference. Make note (this is your first assignment ;) of all the connectors from the power supply. Then look at the data buses.

6. Miokie

Miokie Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys, For the advice and the welcoming; Im going to have a look in my computer now to get used to the inside of a computer abit more. :)

7. nvrsummer2

nvrsummer2

Also, go online to identify the parts of THIS machine. The hardest part of a new build is to pick the proper parts. Know the speed of your RAM, CPU and the socket for your processor. Nothing worse than buying parts that dont go for your computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice